Lifestyle intervention in individuals with impaired glucose regulation affects Caveolin-1 expression and DNA methylation
AffiliationFaculty of Biology, Medicine and Health and Manchester Academic Health Sciences Centre, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAIMS: We investigated whether a lifestyle intervention could influence expression and DNA methylation of diabetes-related genes in patients with impaired glucose regulation (IGR), the results were compared to bariatric surgery, considering it an intensive change. METHODS: Twenty participants with IGR had adipose tissue biopsy and blood collected pre- and post-lifestyle (6 months) intervention; 12 obese patients had subcutaneous fat taken before and after bariatric surgery. RNA/DNA was extracted from all samples and underwent qPCR. DNA was bisulphite converted and 12 CpG sites of Caveolin-1 (CAV1) promoter were pyrosequenced. RESULTS: lifestyle intervention resulted in opposite direction changes in fat tissue and blood for CAV1 expression and DNA methylation and these changes were correlated between tissues, while no significative differences were found in CAV1 expression after bariatric surgery. CONCLUSIONS: Our findings suggest a role for CAV1 in modulating adipocyte function as a consequence of lifestyle changes, as exercises and diet. These results may provide insights into new therapeutic targets for diabetes prevention.
CitationFachim HA, Siddals K, Malipatil N, Donn RP, Moreno GY, Dalton CF, et al. Lifestyle intervention in individuals with impaired glucose regulation affects Caveolin-1 expression and DNA methylation. Adipocyte. 2020;9:96-107.
- CpG island shore methylation regulates caveolin-1 expression in breast cancer.
- Authors: Rao X, Evans J, Chae H, Pilrose J, Kim S, Yan P, Huang RL, Lai HC, Lin H, Liu Y, Miller D, Rhee JK, Huang YW, Gu F, Gray JW, Huang TM, Nephew KP
- Issue date: 2013 Sep 19
- Aberrant CpG Island Shore Region Methylation of CAV1 Is Associated with Tumor Progression and Poor Prognosis in Gastric Cardia Adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: Guo YL, Zhu TN, Guo W, Dong ZM, Zhou Z, Cui YJ, Zhao RJ
- Issue date: 2016 Aug
- Caveolin-1 increases aerobic glycolysis in colorectal cancers by stimulating HMGA1-mediated GLUT3 transcription.
- Authors: Ha TK, Her NG, Lee MG, Ryu BK, Lee JH, Han J, Jeong SI, Kang MJ, Kim NH, Kim HJ, Chi SG
- Issue date: 2012 Aug 15
- Adipocyte Hypertrophy and Improved Postprandial Lipid Response in Beta 2 Syntrophin Deficient Mice.
- Authors: Krautbauer S, Neumeier M, Rein-Fischboeck L, Haberl EM, Tilg H, Eisinger K, Buechler C
- Issue date: 2019
- Elucidation of caveolin 1 both as a tumor suppressor and metastasis promoter in light of epigenetic modulators.
- Authors: Deb M, Sengupta D, Kar S, Rath SK, Parbin S, Shilpi A, Roy S, Das G, Patra SK
- Issue date: 2014 Dec