Health-related quality of life associated with trifluridine/tipiracil in heavily pretreated metastatic gastric cancer: results from TAGS
AffiliationVall d'Hebron University Hospital and Institute of Oncology (VHIO), UVic-UCC, IOB-Quiron, Barcelona, Spain.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: In TAGS, an international, double-blind, phase 3 trial, trifluridine/tipiracil significantly improved overall survival and progression-free survival compared with placebo in heavily pretreated metastatic gastric cancer patients. This paper reports pre-specified quality of life (QoL) outcomes for TAGS. METHODS: Patients were randomized 2:1 to trifluridine/tipiracil (35 mg/m2 twice daily on days 1-5 and 8-12 of each 28-day cycle) plus best supportive care (BSC) or placebo plus BSC. QoL was evaluated at baseline and at each treatment cycle, using the EORTC QLQ-C30 and EORTC QLQ-STO22 questionnaires; results were considered valid for analysis only if ≥ 10% of patients completed the questionnaires. Key QoL outcomes were mean changes from baseline and time to deterioration in QoL. A post hoc analysis assessed the association between QoL and time to deterioration of Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group performance score (ECOG PS) to ≥ 2. RESULTS: Of 507 randomized patients, 496 had baseline QoL data available. The analysis cut-off was 6 cycles for trifluridine/tipiracil and 3 cycles for placebo. In both treatment groups, there were no clinically significant deteriorations in the mean QLQ-C30 Global Health Status (GHS) score, or in most subscale scores. In a sensitivity analysis including death and disease progression as events, there was a trend towards trifluridine/tipiracil reducing the risk of deterioration of QoL scores compared with placebo. Deterioration in the GHS score was associated with deterioration in ECOG PS. CONCLUSION: QoL was maintained in TAGS, and there was a trend towards trifluridine/tipiracil reducing the risk of QoL deterioration compared with placebo. Trial registration ClinicalTrials.gov number: NCT02500043.
CitationTabernero J, Alsina M, Shitara K, Doi T, Dvorkin M, Mansoor W, et al. Health-related quality of life associated with trifluridine/tipiracil in heavily pretreated metastatic gastric cancer: results from TAGS. Gastric Cancer. 2020.
- Trifluridine/tipiracil versus placebo in patients with heavily pretreated metastatic gastric cancer (TAGS): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial.
- Authors: Shitara K, Doi T, Dvorkin M, Mansoor W, Arkenau HT, Prokharau A, Alsina M, Ghidini M, Faustino C, Gorbunova V, Zhavrid E, Nishikawa K, Hosokawa A, Yalçın Ş, Fujitani K, Beretta GD, Cutsem EV, Winkler RE, Makris L, Ilson DH, Tabernero J
- Issue date: 2018 Nov
- Safety, efficacy and patient-reported outcomes with trifluridine/tipiracil in pretreated metastatic colorectal cancer: results of the PRECONNECT study.
- Authors: Bachet JB, Wyrwicz L, Price T, Cremolini C, Phelip JM, Portales F, Ozet A, Cicin I, Atlan D, Becquart M, Vidot L, Mounedji N, Van Cutsem E, Taieb J, Falcone A
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- Proxies of quality of life in metastatic colorectal cancer: analyses in the RECOURSE trial.
- Authors: Van Cutsem E, Falcone A, Garcia-Carbonero R, Komatsu Y, Pastorino A, Peeters M, Shimada Y, Yamazaki K, Yoshino T, Zaniboni A, Amellal N, Kanehisa A, Winkler R, Makris L, Mayer RJ, Ohtsu A, Tabernero J
- Issue date: 2017
- Patient-reported outcomes following pembrolizumab or placebo plus pemetrexed and platinum in patients with previously untreated, metastatic, non-squamous non-small-cell lung cancer (KEYNOTE-189): a multicentre, double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial.
- Authors: Garassino MC, Gadgeel S, Esteban E, Felip E, Speranza G, Domine M, Hochmair MJ, Powell S, Cheng SY, Bischoff HG, Peled N, Reck M, Hui R, Garon EB, Boyer M, Wei Z, Burke T, Pietanza MC, Rodríguez-Abreu D
- Issue date: 2020 Mar
- Effect of trifluridine/tipiracil in patients treated in RECOURSE by prognostic factors at baseline: an exploratory analysis.
- Authors: Tabernero J, Argiles G, Sobrero AF, Borg C, Ohtsu A, Mayer RJ, Vidot L, Moreno Vera SR, Van Cutsem E
- Issue date: 2020 Aug