Immune-awakening revealed by peripheral T cell dynamics after one cycle of immunotherapy
Mundra, Piyushkumar A
Lorigan, Paul C
AffiliationMolecular Oncology Group, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, The University of Manchester, Alderley Park SK10 4TG
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOur understanding of how checkpoint inhibitors (CPI) affect T cell evolution is incomplete, limiting our ability to achieve full clinical benefit from these drugs. Here we analyzed peripheral T cell populations after one cycle of CPI and identified a dynamic awakening of the immune system revealed by T cell evolution in response to treatment. We sequenced T cell receptors (TCR) in plasma cell-free DNA (cfDNA) and peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMC) and performed phenotypic analysis of peripheral T cell subsets from metastatic melanoma patients treated with CPI. We found that early peripheral T cell turnover and TCR repertoire dynamics identified which patients would respond to treatment. Additionally, the expansion of a subset of immune-effector peripheral T cells we call TIE cells correlated with response. These events are prognostic and occur within 3 weeks of starting immunotherapy, raising the potential for monitoring patients responses using minimally invasive liquid biopsies."
CitationValpione S, Galvani E, Tweedy J, Mundra PA, Banyard A, Middlehurst P, et al. Immune-awakening revealed by peripheral T cell dynamics after one cycle of immunotherapy. Nat Cancer. 2020;1:210-21.
- Multiparametric flow cytometric analysis of signal transducer and activator of transcription 5 phosphorylation in immune cell subsets in vitro and following interleukin-2 immunotherapy.
- Authors: Varker KA, Kondadasula SV, Go MR, Lesinski GB, Ghosh-Berkebile R, Lehman A, Monk JP, Olencki T, Kendra K, Carson WE 3rd
- Issue date: 2006 Oct 1
- Peripheral Blood TCR Repertoire Profiling May Facilitate Patient Stratification for Immunotherapy against Melanoma.
- Authors: Hogan SA, Courtier A, Cheng PF, Jaberg-Bentele NF, Goldinger SM, Manuel M, Perez S, Plantier N, Mouret JF, Nguyen-Kim TDL, Raaijmakers MIG, Kvistborg P, Pasqual N, Haanen JBAG, Dummer R, Levesque MP
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- Patterns of failure after immunotherapy with checkpoint inhibitors predict durable progression-free survival after local therapy for metastatic melanoma.
- Authors: Klemen ND, Wang M, Feingold PL, Cooper K, Pavri SN, Han D, Detterbeck FC, Boffa DJ, Khan SA, Olino K, Clune J, Ariyan S, Salem RR, Weiss SA, Kluger HM, Sznol M, Cha C
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 24
- T cell receptor repertoire features associated with survival in immunotherapy-treated pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: Hopkins AC, Yarchoan M, Durham JN, Yusko EC, Rytlewski JA, Robins HS, Laheru DA, Le DT, Lutz ER, Jaffee EM
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 12
- T cells isolated from patients with checkpoint inhibitor-resistant melanoma are functional and can mediate tumor regression.
- Authors: Andersen R, Borch TH, Draghi A, Gokuldass A, Rana MAH, Pedersen M, Nielsen M, Kongsted P, Kjeldsen JW, Westergaard MCW, Radic HD, Chamberlain CA, Hölmich LR, Hendel HW, Larsen MS, Met Ö, Svane IM, Donia M
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 1