NET-02 trial protocol: a multicentre, randomised, parallel group, open-label, phase II, single-stage selection trial of liposomal irinotecan (nal-IRI) and 5-fluorouracil (5-FU)/folinic acid or docetaxel as second-line therapy in patients with progressive poorly differentiated extrapulmonary neuroendocrine carcinoma (NEC)
Hubner, Richard A
Valle, Juan W
McNamara, Mairéad G
AffiliationClinical Trials Research Unit, Leeds Institute of Clinical Trials Research, University of Leeds, Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractINTRODUCTION: Poorly differentiated (PD), extrapulmonary (EP), neuroendocrine carcinomas (NECs) are rare but aggressive neuroendocrine neoplasms. First-line treatment for advanced disease is an etoposide and platinum-based chemotherapy combination. There is no established second-line treatment for patients with PD-EP-NEC, and this is an area of unmet need. METHODS AND ANALYSIS: NET-02 is a UK, multicentre, randomised (1:1), parallel group, open-label, phase II, single-stage selection trial of liposomal irinotecan (nal-IRI)/5-fluorouracil (5-FU)/folinic acid or docetaxel as second-line therapy in patients with progressive PD-EP-NEC. One hundred and two eligible participants will be randomised to receive either nal-IRI/5-FU/folinic acid or docetaxel. The primary objective is to determine the 6-month progression-free survival (PFS) rate. The secondary objectives of this study are to determine PFS, overall survival, objective response rate, toxicity, quality of life and whether neuron-specific enolase is predictive of treatment response. If either treatment is found to have a 6-month PFS rate of at least 25%, that treatment will be considered for a phase III trial. If both treatments meet this target, prespecified selection criteria will be applied to establish which treatment to take forward. ETHICS AND DISSEMINATION: This study has ethical approval from the Greater Manchester Central Research Ethics Committee (reference no. 18/NW/0031) and clinical trial authorisation from the Medicine and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency. Results will be published in peer-reviewed journals and uploaded to the European Union Clinical Trials Register. TRIAL REGISTRATION NUMBERS: ISRCTN10996604, NCT03837977, EudraCT Number: 2017-002453-11.
CitationCraig Z, Swain J, Batman E, Wadsley J, Reed N, Faluyi O, et al. NET-02 trial protocol: a multicentre, randomised, parallel group, open-label, phase II, single-stage selection trial of liposomal irinotecan (nal-IRI) and 5-fluorouracil (5-FU)/folinic acid or docetaxel as second-line therapy in patients with progressive poorly differentiated extrapulmonary neuroendocrine carcinoma (NEC). BMJ Open. 2020;10(2):e034527.
- Randomised phase II trial of CAPTEM or FOLFIRI as SEcond-line therapy in NEuroendocrine CArcinomas and exploratory analysis of predictive role of PET/CT imaging and biological markers (SENECA trial): a study protocol.
- Authors: Bongiovanni A, Liverani C, Pusceddu S, Leo S, Di Meglio G, Tamberi S, Santini D, Gelsomino F, Pucci F, Berardi R, Lolli I, Bergamo F, Ricci S, Foca F, Severi S, Ibrahim T, SENECA Study Team Investigators.
- Issue date: 2020 Jul 19
- NAPOLI-1 phase 3 study of liposomal irinotecan in metastatic pancreatic cancer: Final overall survival analysis and characteristics of long-term survivors.
- Authors: Wang-Gillam A, Hubner RA, Siveke JT, Von Hoff DD, Belanger B, de Jong FA, Mirakhur B, Chen LT
- Issue date: 2019 Feb
- Chemotherapy for advanced gastric cancer.
- Authors: Wagner AD, Syn NL, Moehler M, Grothe W, Yong WP, Tai BC, Ho J, Unverzagt S
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 29
- Nal-IRI with 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) and leucovorin or gemcitabine plus cisplatin in advanced biliary tract cancer - the NIFE trial (AIO-YMO HEP-0315) an open label, non-comparative, randomized, multicenter phase II study.
- Authors: Perkhofer L, Berger AW, Beutel AK, Gallmeier E, Angermeier S, Fischer von Weikersthal L, Goetze TO, Muche R, Seufferlein T, Ettrich TJ
- Issue date: 2019 Oct 23
- Nal-IRI/LV5-FU versus paclitaxel as second-line therapy in patients with metastatic esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (OESIRI)-PRODIGE 62: A multicentre, randomised, non-comparative phase II study.
- Authors: Randrian V, Adenis A, Desrame J, Barbier E, Di Fiore F, Lièvre A, Dahan L, Laurent-Puig P, Mineur L, Breysacher G, Roquin G, Louafi S, Lopez A, Louvet C, Borg C, Metges JP, Faroux R, Gaba L, Manfredi S, Tougeron D
- Issue date: 2020 Mar