NET-02 trial protocol: a multicentre, randomised, parallel group, open-label, phase II, single-stage selection trial of liposomal irinotecan (nal-IRI) and 5-fluorouracil (5-FU)/folinic acid or docetaxel as second-line therapy in patients with progressive poorly differentiated extrapulmonary neuroendocrine carcinoma (NEC)
Hubner, Richard A
Valle, Juan W
McNamara, Mairéad G
AffiliationClinical Trials Research Unit, Leeds Institute of Clinical Trials Research, University of Leeds, Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractINTRODUCTION: Poorly differentiated (PD), extrapulmonary (EP), neuroendocrine carcinomas (NECs) are rare but aggressive neuroendocrine neoplasms. First-line treatment for advanced disease is an etoposide and platinum-based chemotherapy combination. There is no established second-line treatment for patients with PD-EP-NEC, and this is an area of unmet need. METHODS AND ANALYSIS: NET-02 is a UK, multicentre, randomised (1:1), parallel group, open-label, phase II, single-stage selection trial of liposomal irinotecan (nal-IRI)/5-fluorouracil (5-FU)/folinic acid or docetaxel as second-line therapy in patients with progressive PD-EP-NEC. One hundred and two eligible participants will be randomised to receive either nal-IRI/5-FU/folinic acid or docetaxel. The primary objective is to determine the 6-month progression-free survival (PFS) rate. The secondary objectives of this study are to determine PFS, overall survival, objective response rate, toxicity, quality of life and whether neuron-specific enolase is predictive of treatment response. If either treatment is found to have a 6-month PFS rate of at least 25%, that treatment will be considered for a phase III trial. If both treatments meet this target, prespecified selection criteria will be applied to establish which treatment to take forward. ETHICS AND DISSEMINATION: This study has ethical approval from the Greater Manchester Central Research Ethics Committee (reference no. 18/NW/0031) and clinical trial authorisation from the Medicine and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency. Results will be published in peer-reviewed journals and uploaded to the European Union Clinical Trials Register. TRIAL REGISTRATION NUMBERS: ISRCTN10996604, NCT03837977, EudraCT Number: 2017-002453-11.
CitationCraig Z, Swain J, Batman E, Wadsley J, Reed N, Faluyi O, et al. NET-02 trial protocol: a multicentre, randomised, parallel group, open-label, phase II, single-stage selection trial of liposomal irinotecan (nal-IRI) and 5-fluorouracil (5-FU)/folinic acid or docetaxel as second-line therapy in patients with progressive poorly differentiated extrapulmonary neuroendocrine carcinoma (NEC). BMJ Open. 2020;10(2):e034527.
- Nanoliposomal irinotecan with fluorouracil for the treatment of advanced pancreatic cancer, a single institution experience.
- Authors: Glassman DC, Palmaira RL, Covington CM, Desai AM, Ku GY, Li J, Harding JJ, Varghese AM, O'Reilly EM, Yu KH
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 27
- Chemotherapy for advanced gastric cancer.
- Authors: Wagner AD, Syn NL, Moehler M, Grothe W, Yong WP, Tai BC, Ho J, Unverzagt S
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 29
- Nal-IRI with 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) and leucovorin or gemcitabine plus cisplatin in advanced biliary tract cancer - the NIFE trial (AIO-YMO HEP-0315) an open label, non-comparative, randomized, multicenter phase II study.
- Authors: Perkhofer L, Berger AW, Beutel AK, Gallmeier E, Angermeier S, Fischer von Weikersthal L, Goetze TO, Muche R, Seufferlein T, Ettrich TJ
- Issue date: 2019 Oct 23
- NAPOLI-1 phase 3 study of liposomal irinotecan in metastatic pancreatic cancer: Final overall survival analysis and characteristics of long-term survivors.
- Authors: Wang-Gillam A, Hubner RA, Siveke JT, Von Hoff DD, Belanger B, de Jong FA, Mirakhur B, Chen LT
- Issue date: 2019 Feb
- Nal-IRI/LV5-FU versus paclitaxel as second-line therapy in patients with metastatic esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (OESIRI)-PRODIGE 62: A multicentre, randomised, non-comparative phase II study.
- Authors: Randrian V, Adenis A, Desrame J, Barbier E, Di Fiore F, Lièvre A, Dahan L, Laurent-Puig P, Mineur L, Breysacher G, Roquin G, Louafi S, Lopez A, Louvet C, Borg C, Metges JP, Faroux R, Gaba L, Manfredi S, Tougeron D
- Issue date: 2020 Mar