CheckMate 171: A phase 2 trial of nivolumab in patients with previously treated advanced squamous non-small cell lung cancer, including ECOG PS 2 and elderly populations
Van Meerbeeck, JP
AffiliationVall d'Hebron University Hospital and Vall d'Hebron Institute of Oncology (VHIO), Barcelona, 8035, Spain.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: CheckMate 171 (NCT02409368) is an open-label, multicentre, phase 2 trial of nivolumab in previously treated advanced squamous non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC), conducted as part of a post-approval commitment to the European Medicines Agency (EMA). We report outcomes from this trial. METHODS: Patients with Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group performance status (ECOG PS) 0-2 and disease progression during/after ?1 systemic treatment (?1 being platinum-based chemotherapy) for advanced or metastatic disease were treated with nivolumab 3 mg/kg every 2 weeks until progression or unacceptable toxicity. The primary end-point was incidence of grade 3-4 treatment-related select adverse events (AEs). Other end-points included overall survival (OS) and safety. RESULTS: Of 811 patients treated, 103 had ECOG PS 2; 278 were aged ?70 years and 125 were ?75 years of age. Minimum follow-up was ~18 months. Safety was similar across populations; the most frequent grade 3-4 treatment-related select AEs in all treated patients were diarrhoea (1%), increased alanine aminotransferase (ALT, 1%), pneumonitis (0.7%), colitis (0.6%) and increased aspartate aminotransferase (AST, 0.5%). Median OS was similar in all treated patients and those aged ?70 and ?75: 10.0 months, 10.0 months and 11.2 months, respectively. Median OS was 5.2 months in patients with ECOG PS 2. CONCLUSION: These results suggest that nivolumab is well tolerated and active in patients with advanced, relapsed squamous NSCLC, including the elderly, with OS outcomes consistent with phase 3 data. In patients with ECOG PS 2, nivolumab had similar tolerability, but outcomes were worse, as expected in this difficult-to-treat, poor prognosis population. CLINICAL TRIAL REGISTRATION: NCT02409368.
CitationFelip E, Ardizzoni A, Ciuleanu T, Cobo M, Laktionov K, Szilasi M, et al. CheckMate 171: A phase 2 trial of nivolumab in patients with previously treated advanced squamous non-small cell lung cancer, including ECOG PS 2 and elderly populations. Eur J Cancer. 2020;127:160-72.
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer
- Nivolumab plus ipilimumab as first-line treatment for advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (CheckMate 012): results of an open-label, phase 1, multicohort study.
- Authors: Hellmann MD, Rizvi NA, Goldman JW, Gettinger SN, Borghaei H, Brahmer JR, Ready NE, Gerber DE, Chow LQ, Juergens RA, Shepherd FA, Laurie SA, Geese WJ, Agrawal S, Young TC, Li X, Antonia SJ
- Issue date: 2017 Jan
- Cytotoxic chemotherapy in advanced non-small cell lung cancer with poor performance status: A retrospective analysis from routine clinical practice.
- Authors: Kancharla H, Gundu N, Pathak N, Vandidassane I, Khurana S, Pushpam D, Jain D, Kumar S, Pathy S, Mohan A, Malik PS
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- Nivolumab in Combination With Platinum-Based Doublet Chemotherapy for First-Line Treatment of Advanced Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer.
- Authors: Rizvi NA, Hellmann MD, Brahmer JR, Juergens RA, Borghaei H, Gettinger S, Chow LQ, Gerber DE, Laurie SA, Goldman JW, Shepherd FA, Chen AC, Shen Y, Nathan FE, Harbison CT, Antonia S
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 1
- Nivolumab versus docetaxel in previously treated advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (CheckMate 017 and CheckMate 057): 3-year update and outcomes in patients with liver metastases.
- Authors: Vokes EE, Ready N, Felip E, Horn L, Burgio MA, Antonia SJ, Arén Frontera O, Gettinger S, Holgado E, Spigel D, Waterhouse D, Domine M, Garassino M, Chow LQM, Blumenschein G Jr, Barlesi F, Coudert B, Gainor J, Arrieta O, Brahmer J, Butts C, Steins M, Geese WJ, Li A, Healey D, Crinò L
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 1
- A phase II study of biweekly paclitaxel and carboplatin in elderly patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Soejima K, Naoki K, Ishioka K, Nakamura M, Nakatani M, Kawada I, Watanabe H, Nakachi I, Yasuda H, Satomi R, Nakayama S, Yoda S, Ikemura S, Terai H, Sato T, Ohgino K, Arai D, Tani T, Kuroda A, Nishino M, Betsuyaku T
- Issue date: 2015 Mar