New approaches to small cell lung cancer therapy : from the laboratory to the clinic
AffiliationPerlmutter Cancer Center, New York University Langone Health, New York, NY, USA
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSmall cell lung cancer patient outcomes have not yet been significantly impacted by the revolution in precision oncology, primarily due to a paucity of genetic alterations in actionable driver oncogenes. Nevertheless, systemic therapies that include immunotherapy are beginning to show promise in the clinic. While these results are encouraging, many patients do not respond to or rapidly recur after current regimens, necessitating alternative or complementary therapeutic strategies. In this review, we discuss ongoing investigations into the pathobiology of this recalcitrant cancer and the therapeutic vulnerabilities that are exposed by the disease state. Included within this discussion is a snapshot of the current biomarker and clinical trial landscapes for small cell lung cancer. Finally, we identify key knowledge gaps that should be addressed in order to advance the field in pursuit of reduced small cell lung cancer mortality. This review largely summarizes work presented at the Third Biennial IASLC Small Cell Lung Cancer Meeting.
CitationPoirier JT, George J, Owonikoko TK, Berns A, Brambilla E, Byers LA, et al. New approaches to small cell lung cancer therapy : from the laboratory to the clinic. J Thorac Oncol. 2020.
JournalJournal of Thoracic Oncology
- SCLC-State of the Art and What Does the Future Have in Store?
- Authors: Kahnert K, Kauffmann-Guerrero D, Huber RM
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- Development of molecularly targeted agents and immunotherapies in small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Sharp A, Bhosle J, Abdelraouf F, Popat S, O'Brien M, Yap TA
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Rationale for chemotherapy, immunotherapy, and checkpoint blockade in SCLC: beyond traditional treatment approaches.
- Authors: Spigel DR, Socinski MA
- Issue date: 2013 May
- Origins, genetic landscape, and emerging therapies of small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Semenova EA, Nagel R, Berns A
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 15
- [Advances in the Treatment of Relapsed Small Cell Lung Cancer].
- Authors: Liu B, Qin J, Zhou J
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 20