Desmoplastic small round-cell tumour of the peritoneal cavity: case report and literature review
AffiliationDepartment of Oncology, Veterans Hospital (NIMTS), Athens, Greece
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDesmoplastic small round-cell tumour is a very rare neoplasm, which usually arises from the abdominal or pelvic peritoneum of adolescents and young adults. Early diagnosis is difficult, because most tumours present with non-specific gastrointestinal symptoms after a long asymptomatic period. It is generally a very aggressive tumour, which grows rapidly with poor prognosis and an overall five-year survival rate of 15% despite multimodal treatment. Despite multiple treatment strategies, the management of desmoplastic small round-cell tumour still remains a clinical challenge and no consensus about a therapeutic protocol has been established. A 35-year-old man presented with mild abdominal pain, constipation and weight gain, and was eventually diagnosed with desmoplastic small round-cell tumour, which was shown to be limited to the abdomen. After incomplete debulking surgery, radiotherapy and chemotherapy, he developed multiple metastatic nodular foci in chest and the pleura and, unfortunately, he died due to disease progression.
CitationTsoukalas N, Kiakou M, Nakos G, Tolia M, Galanopoulos M, Tsapakidis K, et al. Desmoplastic small round-cell tumour of the peritoneal cavity: case report and literature review. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2020:1-5.
JournalAnnals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England
- A Case Report of Abdominal Desmoplastic Small Round Cell Tumor in a Young Tunisian Woman.
- Authors: Nacef K, Chaouch MA, Bouriga R, Khalifa MB, Chaouch A, Ghannouchi M, Boudokhane M
- Issue date: 2019 Sep
- Management of desmoplastic small round cell tumor.
- Authors: Hayes-Jordan A, LaQuaglia MP, Modak S
- Issue date: 2016 Oct
- Desmoplastic Small Round Cell Tumor: Long-Term Complications After Cytoreduction and Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy.
- Authors: Stiles ZE, Murphy AJ, Anghelescu DL, Brown CL, Davidoff AM, Dickson PV, Glazer ES, Bishop MW, Furman WL, Pappo AS, Lucas JT Jr, Deneve JL
- Issue date: 2020 Jan
- Clinical and computed tomography features of adult abdominopelvic desmoplastic small round cell tumor.
- Authors: Shen XZ, Zhao JG, Wu JJ, Liu F
- Issue date: 2014 May 7
- Imaging of pediatric desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor with pathologic correlation.
- Authors: Iyer RS, Schaunaman G, Pruthi S, Finn LS
- Issue date: 2013 Jan-Feb