Myosin II reactivation and cytoskeletal remodeling as a hallmark and a vulnerability in melanoma therapy resistance
Lee, Rebecca J
AffiliationBarts Cancer Institute, Queen Mary University of London, John Vane Science Building, Charterhouse Square, London EC1M 6BQ, UK;
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND & AIMS: Activation factor-1 transcription factor family members activating transcription factors 2 and 7 (ATF2 and ATF7) have highly redundant functions owing to highly homologous DNA binding sites. Their role in intestinal epithelial homeostasis and repair is unknown. Here, we assessed the role of these proteins in these conditions in an intestine-specific mouse model. METHODS: We performed in vivo and ex vivo experiments using Villin-CreERT2Atf2fl/flAtf7ko/ko mice. We investigated the effects of intestinal epithelium-specific deletion of the Atf2 DNA binding region in Atf7-/- mice on cellular proliferation, differentiation, apoptosis, and epithelial barrier function under homeostatic conditions. Subsequently, we exposed mice to 2% dextran sulfate sodium (DSS) for 7 days and 12 Gy whole-body irradiation and assessed the response to epithelial damage. RESULTS: Activating phosphorylation of ATF2 and ATF7 was detected mainly in the crypts of the small intestine and the lower crypt region of the colonic epithelium. Under homeostatic conditions, no major phenotypic changes were detectable in the intestine of ATF mutant mice. However, on DSS exposure or whole-body irradiation, the intestinal epithelium showed a clearly impaired regenerative response. Mutant mice developed severe ulceration and inflammation associated with increased epithelial apoptosis on DSS exposure and were less able to regenerate colonic crypts on irradiation. In vitro, organoids derived from double-mutant epithelium had a growth disadvantage compared with wild-type organoids, impaired wound healing capacity in scratch assay, and increased sensitivity to tumor necrosis factor-?-induced damage. CONCLUSIONS: ATF2 and ATF7 are dispensable for epithelial homeostasis, but are required to maintain epithelial regenerative capacity and protect against cell death during intestinal epithelial damage and repair.
CitationMorgan RD, Banerjee S, Hall M, Clamp AR, Zhou C, Hasan J, et al. Pazopanib and Fosbretabulin in recurrent ovarian cancer (PAZOFOS): A multi-centre, phase 1b and open-label, randomised phase 2 trial. Gynecol Oncol. 2020.
- Myeloid Cells That Impair Immunotherapy Are Restored in Melanomas with Acquired Resistance to BRAF Inhibitors.
- Authors: Steinberg SM, Shabaneh TB, Zhang P, Martyanov V, Li Z, Malik BT, Wood TA, Boni A, Molodtsov A, Angeles CV, Curiel TJ, Whitfield ML, Turk MJ
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 1
- Mechanisms of Drug Resistance in Melanoma.
- Authors: Winder M, Virós A
- Issue date: 2018
- Future perspectives in melanoma research: meeting report from the "Melanoma Bridge": Napoli, December 3rd-6th 2014.
- Authors: Ascierto PA, Atkins M, Bifulco C, Botti G, Cochran A, Davies M, Demaria S, Dummer R, Ferrone S, Formenti S, Gajewski TF, Garbe C, Khleif S, Kiessling R, Lo R, Lorigan P, Arthur GM, Masucci G, Melero I, Mihm M, Palmieri G, Parmiani G, Puzanov I, Romero P, Schilling B, Seliger B, Stroncek D, Taube J, Tomei S, Zarour HM, Testori A, Wang E, Galon J, Ciliberto G, Mozzillo N, Marincola FM, Thurin M
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 30
- Future perspectives in melanoma research : Meeting report from the "Melanoma Bridge". Napoli, December 1st-4th 2015.
- Authors: Ascierto PA, Agarwala S, Botti G, Cesano A, Ciliberto G, Davies MA, Demaria S, Dummer R, Eggermont AM, Ferrone S, Fu YX, Gajewski TF, Garbe C, Huber V, Khleif S, Krauthammer M, Lo RS, Masucci G, Palmieri G, Postow M, Puzanov I, Silk A, Spranger S, Stroncek DF, Tarhini A, Taube JM, Testori A, Wang E, Wargo JA, Yee C, Zarour H, Zitvogel L, Fox BA, Mozzillo N, Marincola FM, Thurin M
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 15
- Systems biology analysis of mitogen activated protein kinase inhibitor resistance in malignant melanoma.
- Authors: Zecena H, Tveit D, Wang Z, Farhat A, Panchal P, Liu J, Singh SJ, Sanghera A, Bainiwal A, Teo SY, Meyskens FL Jr, Liu-Smith F, Filipp FV
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 4