MRI-based upper abdominal organs-at-risk atlas for radiation oncology
Eccles, Cynthia L
AffiliationDepartment of Radiation Oncology, University of Toronto, Radiation Medicine Program, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPURPOSE: The purpose of our study was to provide a guide for identification and contouring of upper abdominal organs-at-risk (OARs) in the setting of online magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)-guided radiation treatment planning and delivery. METHODS AND MATERIALS: After a needs assessment survey, it was determined that an upper abdominal MRI-based atlas of normal OARs would be of benefit to radiation oncologists and radiation therapists. An anonymized diagnostic 1.5T MRI from a patient with typical upper abdominal anatomy was used for atlas development. Two MRI sequences were selected for contouring, a T1-weighted gadoxetic acid contrast-enhanced MRI acquired in the hepatobiliary phase and axial fast imaging with balanced steady-state precession. Two additional clinical MRI sequences from commercial online MRI-guided radiation therapy systems were selected for contouring and were included in the final atlas. Contours from each data set were completed and reviewed by radiation oncologists, along with a radiologist who specializes in upper abdominal imaging, to generate a consensus upper abdominal MRI-based OAR atlas. RESULTS: A normal OAR atlas was developed, including recommendations for contouring. The atlas and contouring guidance are described, and high-resolution MRI images and contours are displayed. OARs, such as the bile duct and biliary tree, which may be better seen on MRI than on computed tomography, are highlighted. The full DICOM/DICOM-RT MRI images from both the diagnostic and clinical online MRI-guided radiation therapy systems data sets have been made freely available, for educational purposes, at econtour.org. CONCLUSIONS: This MRI contouring atlas for upper abdominal OARs should provide a useful reference for contouring and education. Its routine use may help to improve uniformity in contouring in radiation oncology planning and OAR dose calculation. Full DICOM/DICOM-RT images are available online and provide a valuable educational resource for upper abdominal MRI-based radiation therapy planning and delivery.
CitationLukovic J, Henke L, Gani C, Kim TK, Stanescu T, Hosni A, et al. MRI-Based Upper Abdominal Organs-at-Risk Atlas for Radiation Oncology. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2020;106(4):743-53.
JournalInternational Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics
- Upper abdominal normal organ contouring guidelines and atlas: a Radiation Therapy Oncology Group consensus.
- Authors: Jabbour SK, Hashem SA, Bosch W, Kim TK, Finkelstein SE, Anderson BM, Ben-Josef E, Crane CH, Goodman KA, Haddock MG, Herman JM, Hong TS, Kachnic LA, Mamon HJ, Pantarotto JR, Dawson LA
- Issue date: 2014 Mar-Apr
- The EPTN consensus-based atlas for CT- and MR-based contouring in neuro-oncology.
- Authors: Eekers DB, In 't Ven L, Roelofs E, Postma A, Alapetite C, Burnet NG, Calugaru V, Compter I, Coremans IEM, Høyer M, Lambrecht M, Nyström PW, Méndez Romero A, Paulsen F, Perpar A, de Ruysscher D, Renard L, Timmermann B, Vitek P, Weber DC, van der Weide HL, Whitfield GA, Wiggenraad R, Troost EGC, “European Particle Therapy Network” of ESTRO.
- Issue date: 2018 Jul
- AAR-RT - A system for auto-contouring organs at risk on CT images for radiation therapy planning: Principles, design, and large-scale evaluation on head-and-neck and thoracic cancer cases.
- Authors: Wu X, Udupa JK, Tong Y, Odhner D, Pednekar GV, Simone CB 2nd, McLaughlin D, Apinorasethkul C, Apinorasethkul O, Lukens J, Mihailidis D, Shammo G, James P, Tiwari A, Wojtowicz L, Camaratta J, Torigian DA
- Issue date: 2019 May
- Pelvic normal tissue contouring guidelines for radiation therapy: a Radiation Therapy Oncology Group consensus panel atlas.
- Authors: Gay HA, Barthold HJ, O'Meara E, Bosch WR, El Naqa I, Al-Lozi R, Rosenthal SA, Lawton C, Lee WR, Sandler H, Zietman A, Myerson R, Dawson LA, Willett C, Kachnic LA, Jhingran A, Portelance L, Ryu J, Small W Jr, Gaffney D, Viswanathan AN, Michalski JM
- Issue date: 2012 Jul 1
- Recommendations for MRI-based contouring of gross tumor volume and organs at risk for radiation therapy of pancreatic cancer.
- Authors: Heerkens HD, Hall WA, Li XA, Knechtges P, Dalah E, Paulson ES, van den Berg CAT, Meijer GJ, Koay EJ, Crane CH, Aitken K, van Vulpen M, Erickson BA
- Issue date: 2017 Mar - Apr