Brentuximab vedotin with chemotherapy for Stage III/IV classical Hodgkin lymphoma: 3-year update of the ECHELON-1 study
Radford, John A
AffiliationMemorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York, United States
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe phase 3 ECHELON-1 study demonstrated that brentuximab vedotin (A) with AVD (A+AVD) exhibited superior modified PFS versus ABVD for the frontline treatment of patients with stage III/IV classical Hodgkin lymphoma (cHL) (NCT01712490; 2011-005450-60). Maturing data from positron emission tomography (PET)-adapted trials highlight potential limitations of PET-adapted approaches, including toxicities with dose intensification and higher-than-expected relapse rates in PET2(-) patients. We present here an update of the ECHELON-1 study, including an exploratory analysis of 3-year PFS per investigator. 1334 patients with stage III or IV cHL were randomized 1:1 to receive six cycles of A+AVD (n = 664) or ABVD (n = 670). Interim PET scan after cycle 2 (PET2) was required. At a median follow-up of 37 months, 3-year PFS rates were 83.1% with A+AVD and 76.0% with ABVD; 3-year PFS rates in PET2(-) patients aged <60 years were 87.2% versus 81.0%, respectively. A beneficial trend in PET2(+) patients aged <60 years on A+AVD was also observed, with a 3-year PFS rate of 69.2% versus 54.7% with ABVD. The benefit of A+AVD in the intent-to-treat population appeared independent of disease stage and prognostic risk factors. Upon continued follow-up, 78% of patients with peripheral neuropathy (PN) on A+AVD had either complete resolution or improvement compared with 83% on ABVD. These data highlight that A+AVD provides a durable efficacy benefit compared with ABVD for frontline stage III/IV cHL which is consistent across key subgroups regardless of patient status at PET2, without need for treatment intensification or exposure to bleomycin.
CitationStraus DJ, Dlugosz-Danecka M, Alekseev S, Illes A, Picardi M, Lech-Maranda E, et al. Brentuximab vedotin with chemotherapy for Stage III/IV classical Hodgkin lymphoma: 3-year update of the ECHELON-1 study. Blood. 2020.
- Brentuximab vedotin with chemotherapy for stage III or IV classical Hodgkin lymphoma (ECHELON-1): 5-year update of an international, open-label, randomised, phase 3 trial.
- Authors: Straus DJ, Długosz-Danecka M, Connors JM, Alekseev S, Illés Á, Picardi M, Lech-Maranda E, Feldman T, Smolewski P, Savage KJ, Bartlett NL, Walewski J, Ramchandren R, Zinzani PL, Hutchings M, Munoz J, Lee HJ, Kim WS, Advani R, Ansell SM, Younes A, Gallamini A, Liu R, Little M, Fenton K, Fanale M, Radford J
- Issue date: 2021 Jun
- Brentuximab Vedotin plus Chemotherapy in North American Subjects with Newly Diagnosed Stage III or IV Hodgkin Lymphoma.
- Authors: Ramchandren R, Advani RH, Ansell SM, Bartlett NL, Chen R, Connors JM, Feldman T, Forero-Torres A, Friedberg JW, Gopal AK, Gordon LI, Kuruvilla J, Savage KJ, Younes A, Engley G, Manley TJ, Fenton K, Straus DJ
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 15
- Brentuximab vedotin, doxorubicin, vinblastine, and dacarbazine for nonbulky limited-stage classical Hodgkin lymphoma.
- Authors: Abramson JS, Arnason JE, LaCasce AS, Redd R, Barnes JA, Sokol L, Joyce R, Avigan D, Neuberg D, Takvorian RW, Hochberg EP, Bello CM
- Issue date: 2019 Aug 15
- Brentuximab Vedotin with Chemotherapy for Stage III or IV Hodgkin's Lymphoma.
- Authors: Connors JM, Jurczak W, Straus DJ, Ansell SM, Kim WS, Gallamini A, Younes A, Alekseev S, Illés Á, Picardi M, Lech-Maranda E, Oki Y, Feldman T, Smolewski P, Savage KJ, Bartlett NL, Walewski J, Chen R, Ramchandren R, Zinzani PL, Cunningham D, Rosta A, Josephson NC, Song E, Sachs J, Liu R, Jolin HA, Huebner D, Radford J, ECHELON-1 Study Group.
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 25
- Brentuximab vedotin combined with ABVD or AVD for patients with newly diagnosed Hodgkin's lymphoma: a phase 1, open-label, dose-escalation study.
- Authors: Younes A, Connors JM, Park SI, Fanale M, O'Meara MM, Hunder NN, Huebner D, Ansell SM
- Issue date: 2013 Dec