The role of postoperative thoracic radiotherapy and prophylactic cranial irradiation in early stage small cell lung cancer: Patient selection among ESTRO experts
AffiliationDepartment of Radiation Oncology, Kantonsspital St. Gallen, Switzerland;
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: The role of prophylactic cranial irradiation (PCI) and thoracic radiotherapy (TRT) is unclear in resected small cell lung cancer (SCLC). METHODS: Thirteen European radiotherapy experts on SCLC were asked to describe their strategies on PCI and TRT for patients with resected SCLC. The treatment strategies were converted into decision trees and analyzed for consensus and discrepancies. RESULTS: For patients with resected SCLC and positive lymph nodes most experts recommend prophylactic cranial irradiation and thoracic radiotherapy. For elderly patients with resected node negative SCLC, most experts do not recommend thoracic radiotherapy or prophylactic cranial irradiation. CONCLUSION: PCI and TRT are considered in patients with resected SCLC and these treatments should be discussed with the patient in the context of shared decision-making.
CitationPutora PM, De Ruysscher D, Glatzer M, Widder J, Van Houtte P, Troost EGC, et al. The role of postoperative thoracic radiotherapy and prophylactic cranial irradiation in early stage small cell lung cancer: Patient selection among ESTRO experts. Radiother Oncol. 2019;145:45-8.
JournalRadiotherapy and Oncology
- Prophylactic cranial irradiation in stage IV small cell lung cancer: Selection of patients amongst European IASLC and ESTRO experts.
- Authors: Putora PM, Glatzer M, Belderbos J, Besse B, Blackhall F, Califano R, Cappuzzo F, de Marinis F, Dziadziuszko R, Felip E, Faivre-Finn C, Früh M, Garrido P, Le Pechoux C, McDonald F, Nestle U, Novello S, O'Brien M, Paz Ares L, Peeters S, Pöttgen C, Ramella S, Reck M, Slotman B, Troost EGC, Van Houtte P, Westeel V, Widder J, Mornex F, De Ruysscher D
- Issue date: 2019 Apr
- Does surgically resected small-cell lung cancer without lymph node involvement benefit from prophylactic cranial irradiation?
- Authors: Lou Y, Zhong R, Xu J, Qiao R, Teng J, Zhang Y, Zhang X, Chu T, Zhong H, Han B
- Issue date: 2020 May
- Consolidative thoracic radiotherapy in stage IV small cell lung cancer: Selection of patients amongst European IASLC and ESTRO experts.
- Authors: Putora PM, Glatzer M, De Ruysscher D, Faivre-Finn C, Belderbos J, Besse B, Blackhall F, Califano R, Cappuzzo F, de Marinis F, Dziadiuszko R, Felip E, Früh M, Garrido P, Le Pechoux C, McDonald F, Nestle U, Novello S, Brien MO, Paz Ares L, Peeters S, Pöttgen C, Ramella S, Reck M, Troost EGC, Van Houtte P, Westeel V, Widder J, Mornex F, Slotman BJ
- Issue date: 2019 Jun
- Treatment of brain metastases in small cell lung cancer: Decision-making amongst a multidisciplinary panel of European experts.
- Authors: Putora PM, Fischer GF, Früh M, Califano R, Faivre-Finn C, Van Houtte P, McDonald F, Nestle U, Dziadziuszko R, Le Pechoux C, Ramella S, Belderbos J, Slotman BJ, Troost EGC, Peeters S, Widder J, Pöttgen C, Reck M, Blackhall F, Cappuzzo F, Besse B, Novello S, Garrido P, Felip E, O'Brien M, Paz Ares L, de Marinis F, Westeel V, De Ruysscher D
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- Treatment Design and Rationale for a Randomized Trial of Prophylactic Cranial Irradiation With or Without Hippocampal Avoidance for SCLC: PREMER Trial on Behalf of the Oncologic Group for the Study of Lung Cancer/Spanish Radiation Oncology Group-Radiation Oncology Clinical Research Group.
- Authors: Rodríguez de Dios N, Couñago F, López JL, Calvo P, Murcia M, Rico M, Vallejo C, Luna J, Trueba I, Cigarral C, Farre N, Manero RM, Durán X, Samper P
- Issue date: 2018 Sep