Primary epithelial-myoepithelial carcinoma of the pituitary gland
Higham, Claire E
Colaco, Rovel J
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology, Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPrimary salivary gland-like tumors of the sella are rare and often challenging to diagnose. They reportedly derive from serous and mucinous glands that remain trapped in the infundibulum during embryogenesis. We report a 68-year-old man who presented with partial left third cranial nerve palsy, visual loss in the left eye without visual field defects, headache, weight loss and reduced muscle bulk. Neuroimaging studies demonstrated a solid and cystic, avidly enhancing lesion expanding the pituitary fossa and extending to the left cavernous sinus. The patient underwent craniotomy and the tissue removed showed features of epithelial-myoepithelial carcinoma similar to the salivary gland, skin and breast counterpart. No primary tumor was found outside the sella. The lesion behaved aggressively despite radio-chemotherapy and the patient died 22?months from the onset. The tumor showed a novel TP53 in-frame deletion (Gly154del) while no variants were found in H-RAS hotspot regions (codons 12, 13 and 61). Our report expands the spectrum of salivary gland-like tumors primarily occurring in the sella and emphasizes the need for specialist review of rare, non-neuroendocrine tumors of the pituitary and sella regions.
CitationLavin V, Callipo F, Donofrio CA, Ellwood-Thompson R, Metcalf R, Djoukhadar I, et al. Primary epithelial-myoepithelial carcinoma of the pituitary gland. Neuropathology. 2020.
- Epithelial-myoepithelial carcinoma of the trachea-a rare entity case report.
- Authors: Konoglou M, Cheva A, Zarogoulidis P, Porpodis K, Pataka A, Mpaliaka A, Papaiwannou A, Zarogoulidis K, Kontakiotis T, Karaiskos T, Kesisis G, Kolettas A, Giouleka A, Madesis A, Vretzakis G, Sakkas L, Tsakiridis K
- Issue date: 2014 Mar
- Metastatic Mantle Cell Lymphoma to the Pituitary Gland: Case Report and Literature Review.
- Authors: Wang A, Carberry N, Solli E, Kleinman G, Tandon A
- Issue date: 2016 Jan-Apr
- Ectopic sphenoid sinus pituitary adenoma (ESSPA) with normal anterior pituitary gland: a clinicopathologic and immunophenotypic study of 32 cases with a comprehensive review of the english literature.
- Authors: Thompson LD, Seethala RR, Müller S
- Issue date: 2012 Mar
- Hybrid tumors or salivary gland tumors sharing common differentiation pathways? Reexamining adenoid cystic and epithelial-myoepithelial carcinomas.
- Authors: Grenko RT, Abendroth CS, Davis AT, Levin RJ, Dardick I
- Issue date: 1998 Aug
- Epithelial-myoepithelial carcinoma of the lung: immunohistochemical and ultrastructural observations and review of the literature.
- Authors: Wilson RW, Moran CA
- Issue date: 1997 May