Primary epithelial-myoepithelial carcinoma of the pituitary gland
Higham, Claire E
Colaco, Rovel J
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology, Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPrimary salivary gland-like tumors of the sella are rare and often challenging to diagnose. They reportedly derive from serous and mucinous glands that remain trapped in the infundibulum during embryogenesis. We report a 68-year-old man who presented with partial left third cranial nerve palsy, visual loss in the left eye without visual field defects, headache, weight loss and reduced muscle bulk. Neuroimaging studies demonstrated a solid and cystic, avidly enhancing lesion expanding the pituitary fossa and extending to the left cavernous sinus. The patient underwent craniotomy and the tissue removed showed features of epithelial-myoepithelial carcinoma similar to the salivary gland, skin and breast counterpart. No primary tumor was found outside the sella. The lesion behaved aggressively despite radio-chemotherapy and the patient died 22?months from the onset. The tumor showed a novel TP53 in-frame deletion (Gly154del) while no variants were found in H-RAS hotspot regions (codons 12, 13 and 61). Our report expands the spectrum of salivary gland-like tumors primarily occurring in the sella and emphasizes the need for specialist review of rare, non-neuroendocrine tumors of the pituitary and sella regions.
CitationLavin V, Callipo F, Donofrio CA, Ellwood-Thompson R, Metcalf R, Djoukhadar I, et al. Primary epithelial-myoepithelial carcinoma of the pituitary gland. Neuropathology. 2020.
- Epithelial-myoepithelial carcinoma originating from a minor salivary gland in the nasal septum: A case report and literature review.
- Authors: Lee YS, Ha SM, Paik SW, Yang HJ, Jeon HJ, Park DJ, Hwang CS
- Issue date: 2020 Jan
- Myoepithelial carcinoma of the salivary glands: a clinicopathologic study of 25 patients.
- Authors: Savera AT, Sloman A, Huvos AG, Klimstra DS
- Issue date: 2000 Jun
- Report of a unique case of myoepithelial carcinoma of left parotid gland with metachronous bilateral cavernous sinus metastasis.
- Authors: Pandey R, Biswas R, Ray M, Ramteke PP, Dhamija E, Halder A
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- Hybrid carcinoma of the parotid gland: report of a case (epithelial-myoepithelial carcinoma and salivary duct carcinoma) and review of the literature.
- Authors: Kainuma K, Oshima A, Suzuki H, Fukushima M, Shimojo H, Usami S
- Issue date: 2010
- Dedifferentiated epithelial-myoepithelial carcinoma: analysis of a rare entity based on a case report and literature review.
- Authors: Baker AR, Ohanessian SE, Adil E, Crist HS, Goldenberg D, Mani H
- Issue date: 2013 Oct