Nursing research priorities in critical care, pulmonary, and sleep: International Delphi survey of nurses, patients, and caregivers an official American Thoracic Society workshop report
AffiliationOffice of Scholarship and Research, Columbia University School of Nursing, New York, New York;
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe objective of this workshop was to determine current nursing research priorities in critical care, adult pulmonary, and sleep conditions through input from consumer (patient, family, and formal and informal caregivers) and nursing experts around the world. Working groups composed of nurses and patients selected potential research priorities based on patient insight and a literature review of patient-reported outcomes, patient-reported experiences, and processes and clinical outcomes in the focal areas. A Delphi consensus approach, using a qualitative survey method to elicit expert opinion from nurses and consumers was conducted. Two rounds of online surveys available in English, Spanish, and Chinese were completed. A 75% or greater threshold for endorsement (combined responses from nursing and consumer participants) was determined a priori to retain survey items. A total of 837 participants (649 nurses and 188 patients, family, and/or caregivers) from 45 countries responded. Survey data were analyzed and nursing research priorities that comprise 23 critical care, 45 adult pulmonary, and 16 sleep items were identified. This project was successful in engaging a wide variety of nursing and consumer experts, applying a patient-reported outcome/patient-reported experience framework for organizing and understanding research priorities. The project outcome was a research agenda to inform, guide, and aid nurse scientists, educators, and providers, and to advise agencies that provide research and program funding in these fields.
CitationGeorge M, Hernandez C, Smith S, Narsavage G, Kapella MC, Carno M, et al. Nursing Research Priorities in Critical Care, Pulmonary, and Sleep: International Delphi Survey of Nurses, Patients, and Caregivers. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2020;17(1):1-10.
JournalAnnals of the American Thoracic Society
- Clinical Nursing and Midwifery Research Priorities in Eastern and Southern African Countries: Results From a Delphi Survey.
- Authors: Sun C, Dohrn J, Klopper H, Malata A, Omoni G, Larson E
- Issue date: 2015 Nov-Dec
- Nursing research priorities for Ireland.
- Authors: Drennan J, Meehan T, Kemple M, Johnson M, Treacy M, Butler M
- Issue date: 2007
- Delphi Survey of Clinical Nursing and Midwifery Research Priorities in the Eastern Mediterranean Region.
- Authors: Sun C, Dohrn J, Oweis A, Huijer HA, Abu-Moghli F, Dawani H, Ghazi C, Larson E
- Issue date: 2017 Mar
- Delphi survey of nursing research priorities.
- Authors: Cohen MZ, Harle M, Woll AM, Despa S, Munsell MF
- Issue date: 2004 Sep
- Identification of Research Priorities for Inflammatory Bowel Disease Nursing in Europe: a Nurses-European Crohn's and Colitis Organisation Delphi Survey.
- Authors: Dibley L, Bager P, Czuber-Dochan W, Farrell D, Jelsness-Jørgensen LP, Kemp K, Norton C
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 1