Treatment of refractory germ-cell tumours with single-agent cabazitaxel: a German Testicular Cancer Study Group case series
Pereira, Ronnie R
AffiliationHaematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation with Division of Pneumology, Department of Oncology, University Medical Centre Hamburg-Eppendorf, Martinistr. 52, 20246, Hamburg
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPURPOSE: Outcomes of multiply relapsed, refractory germ-cell tumour (GCT) patients remain poor with an overall survival (OS) of a few months only. Thus, new therapeutic advances are urgently needed. Cabazitaxel has shown preclinical activity in platinum-resistant GCT models. Here, we report the first clinical case series of cabazitaxel treatment for platinum-refractory GCT. METHODS: Data of multiply relapsed GCT patients receiving single-agent cabazitaxel were retrospectively analysed. Endpoints included 12-week progression-free survival (PFS) rate, disease control rate, tumour marker responses, median PFS and OS, and toxicity. RESULTS: Cabazitaxel showed limited activity in 13 heavily pre-treated GCT patients. After a median follow-up of 23 weeks (IQR 29), 69% of patients were deceased. A median of 2 cycles of cabazitaxel (range 1-7) were applied. The 12-week PFS rate was 31%. Median PFS and OS were 7 and 23 weeks, respectively. Two patients achieved objective responses (15%), three patients (23%) achieved a tumour marker decline?³?50%, and the disease control rate was 39%. Cabazitaxel was well tolerated. CTCAE¡ III-IV haemato-toxicity was most common (54%), and dose reductions were scarce (15%). CONCLUSION: In this case series, cabazitaxel showed limited activity in heavily pre-treated GCT patients. Two-phase II studies are underway (NCT02115165, NCT02478502) prospectively assessing cabazitaxel in multiply relapsed GCTs.
CitationOing C, Hentrich M, Lorch A, Glaser D, Rumpold H, Ochsenreither S, et al. Treatment of refractory germ-cell tumours with single-agent cabazitaxel: a German Testicular Cancer Study Group case series. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2019:10.
JournalJournal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology
- Progression-free and overall survival in patients with relapsed/refractory germ cell tumors treated with single-agent chemotherapy: endpoints for clinical trial design.
- Authors: Feldman DR, Patil S, Trinos MJ, Carousso M, Ginsberg MS, Sheinfeld J, Bajorin DF, Bosl GJ, Motzer RJ
- Issue date: 2012 Feb 15
- Everolimus in patients with multiply relapsed or cisplatin refractory germ cell tumors: results of a phase II, single-arm, open-label multicenter trial (RADIT) of the German Testicular Cancer Study Group.
- Authors: Fenner M, Oing C, Dieing A, Gauler T, Oechsle K, Lorch A, Hentrich M, Kopp HG, Bokemeyer C, Honecker F
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- Cabazitaxel overcomes cisplatin resistance in germ cell tumour cells.
- Authors: Gerwing M, Jacobsen C, Dyshlovoy S, Hauschild J, Rohlfing T, Oing C, Venz S, Oldenburg J, Oechsle K, Bokemeyer C, von Amsberg G, Honecker F
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- Response to anti-programmed cell death protein-1 antibodies in men treated for platinum refractory germ cell cancer relapsed after high-dose chemotherapy and stem cell transplantation.
- Authors: Zschäbitz S, Lasitschka F, Hadaschik B, Hofheinz RD, Jentsch-Ullrich K, Grüner M, Jäger D, Grüllich C
- Issue date: 2017 May
- Preclinical and clinical activity of sunitinib in patients with cisplatin-refractory or multiply relapsed germ cell tumors: a Canadian Urologic Oncology Group/German Testicular Cancer Study Group cooperative study.
- Authors: Oechsle K, Honecker F, Cheng T, Mayer F, Czaykowski P, Winquist E, Wood L, Fenner M, Glaesener S, Hartmann JT, Chi K, Bokemeyer C, Kollmannsberger C
- Issue date: 2011 Dec