Vinculins interaction with talin is essential for mammary epithelial differentiation
AffiliationWellcome Centre for Cell-Matrix Research, FBMH, University of Manchester, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractVinculin is an essential component of cell adhesion complexes, where it regulates the strength and stability of adhesions. Whilst the role of vinculin in cell motility is well established, it remains unclear how vinculin contributes to other aspects of tissue function. Here we examine the role of vinculin in mammary epithelial cell phenotype. In these cells, correct adhesion to the extracellular matrix is essential for both the formation of polarised secretory acini and for the transcription of tissue-specific milk protein genes. We show that vinculin, through its interaction with talin, controls milk protein gene expression. However, vinculin is not required for the formation of polarised acini. This work reveals new roles for vinculin that are central to cellular differentiation, and for the ability of cells to interpret their extracellular microenvironment.
CitationWang P, Wu J, Wood A, Jones M, Pedley R, Li W, et al. Vinculins interaction with talin is essential for mammary epithelial differentiation. Sci Rep. 2019;9(1):18400.
- A conformational switch in vinculin drives formation and dynamics of a talin-vinculin complex at focal adhesions.
- Authors: Cohen DM, Kutscher B, Chen H, Murphy DB, Craig SW
- Issue date: 2006 Jun 9
- Vinculin controls talin engagement with the actomyosin machinery.
- Authors: Atherton P, Stutchbury B, Wang DY, Jethwa D, Tsang R, Meiler-Rodriguez E, Wang P, Bate N, Zent R, Barsukov IL, Goult BT, Critchley DR, Ballestrem C
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 4
- Force engages vinculin and promotes tumor progression by enhancing PI3K activation of phosphatidylinositol (3,4,5)-triphosphate.
- Authors: Rubashkin MG, Cassereau L, Bainer R, DuFort CC, Yui Y, Ou G, Paszek MJ, Davidson MW, Chen YY, Weaver VM
- Issue date: 2014 Sep 1
- Vinculin regulates the recruitment and release of core focal adhesion proteins in a force-dependent manner.
- Authors: Carisey A, Tsang R, Greiner AM, Nijenhuis N, Heath N, Nazgiewicz A, Kemkemer R, Derby B, Spatz J, Ballestrem C
- Issue date: 2013 Feb 18
- A helping hand: How vinculin contributes to cell-matrix and cell-cell force transfer.
- Authors: Dumbauld DW, García AJ
- Issue date: 2014