An audit of the management of elderly patients with glioblastoma in the UK: have recent trial results changed treatment?
McBain, Catherine A
AffiliationNHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde, Glasgow, Scotland
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAim: We investigated uptake of short-course chemo-radiotherapy and compared outcomes with other treatment schedules in elderly patients with glioblastoma (GBM). Methods: Patients aged 65 or over with a diagnosis of GBM were identified from an 18-month period from three centers in the UK. The primary end point of this study was overall survival from the date of diagnosis. Results: The analysis included 210 patients. Overall median survival was 5.0 months. Approximately 31.9% of patients received combined chemoradiation; multivariate analysis showed that patients who received standard chemoradiation were at a reduced risk of death than those receiving hypofractionated chemoradiation. Discussion: In this retrospective study, patients treated with standard chemoradiation experienced better outcomes than patients receiving hypofractionated chemoradiation. Patient selection likely contributed to these findings.
CitationChong MY, Lorimer CF, Mehta S, Ibrahim E, Brock J, McBain C, et al. An audit of the management of elderly patients with glioblastoma in the UK: have recent trial results changed treatment? CNS Oncol. 2019;8(4):CNS47.
- Patterns of Care and Outcomes of Hypofractionated Chemoradiation Versus Conventionally Fractionated Chemoradiation for Glioblastoma in the Elderly Population.
- Authors: Haque W, Verma V, Butler EB, Teh BS
- Issue date: 2018 Feb
- Survival Outcomes of Elderly Patients With Glioblastoma Multiforme in Their 75th Year or Older Treated With Adjuvant Therapy.
- Authors: Harris G, Jayamanne D, Wheeler H, Gzell C, Kastelan M, Schembri G, Brazier D, Cook R, Parkinson J, Khasraw M, Louw S, Back M
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 15
- Patterns of care and outcomes for glioblastoma in patients with poor performance status.
- Authors: Malakhov N, Lee A, Garay E, Becker DJ, Schreiber D
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- Hypofractionated radiotherapy followed by adjuvant chemotherapy with temozolomide in elderly patients with glioblastoma.
- Authors: Minniti G, De Sanctis V, Muni R, Rasio D, Lanzetta G, Bozzao A, Osti MF, Salvati M, Valeriani M, Cantore GP, Maurizi Enrici R
- Issue date: 2009 Jan
- Maintenance Therapy With Tumor-Treating Fields Plus Temozolomide vs Temozolomide Alone for Glioblastoma: A Randomized Clinical Trial.
- Authors: Stupp R, Taillibert S, Kanner AA, Kesari S, Steinberg DM, Toms SA, Taylor LP, Lieberman F, Silvani A, Fink KL, Barnett GH, Zhu JJ, Henson JW, Engelhard HH, Chen TC, Tran DD, Sroubek J, Tran ND, Hottinger AF, Landolfi J, Desai R, Caroli M, Kew Y, Honnorat J, Idbaih A, Kirson ED, Weinberg U, Palti Y, Hegi ME, Ram Z
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 15