Watch and wait or surgery for clinical complete response in rectal cancer: a need to study both sides
AffiliationDivision of Cancer Sciences, School of Medical Sciences, Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health, University of Manchester, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn patients with rectal cancer who achieve clinical complete response (cCR) after neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy (nCRT), watch and wait (W&W) is a novel management strategy with the potential to avoid major surgery. W&W is not yet standard of care, nor is it offered routinely. The 2019 UK National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) guidelines  recommend that deferral of surgery in this setting should be in the context of a clinical trial or national registry.
CitationParmar KL, Malcomson L, Renehan AG. Watch and wait or surgery for clinical complete response in rectal cancer: a need to study both sides. Colorectal Dis. 2019.
- [Management of local tumor recurrence within the watch and wait strategy in rectal cancer].
- Authors: Germer CT, Reibetanz J
- Issue date: 2021 Feb
- Watch-and-wait approach versus surgical resection after chemoradiotherapy for patients with rectal cancer (the OnCoRe project): a propensity-score matched cohort analysis.
- Authors: Renehan AG, Malcomson L, Emsley R, Gollins S, Maw A, Myint AS, Rooney PS, Susnerwala S, Blower A, Saunders MP, Wilson MS, Scott N, O'Dwyer ST
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- A watch-and-wait approach for locally advanced rectal cancer after a clinical complete response following neoadjuvant chemoradiation: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Authors: Dossa F, Chesney TR, Acuna SA, Baxter NN
- Issue date: 2017 Jul
- ASO Author Reflections: Local Excision Following Neoadjuvant Therapy for Rectal Cancer: A Compromise Between TME and Watch-and-Wait in Patients with Major Response.
- Authors: Bao QR, Capelli G, Spolverato G, Pucciarelli S
- Issue date: 2021 May