AffiliationDepartment of Radiation Oncology, Winship Cancer Institute of Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLimited stage small cell lung cancer (LS-SCLC) remains a challenging disease, with 5-year overall survival ranging from 30-35% with current standard of care treatment consisting of thoracic radiation to 45 Gy in 30 fractions delivered twice daily, with concurrent platinum/etoposide chemotherapy, followed by prophylactic cranial irradiation (PCI). The randomized, phase III CONVERT study confirmed 45 Gy delivered twice daily to be the optimal radiation fractionation regimen, without significantly increased toxicity when compared to daily radiation to 66 Gy. Immunotherapy is now being studied in addition to chemoradiation, in both the concurrent and consolidative setting. These randomized trials are ongoing. Additionally, the role of PCI compared to MRI surveillance is being evaluated in patients with LS-SCLC in both the North America and Europe. Ideally these ongoing studies will continue to improve outcomes for LS-SCLC.
CitationHiggins KA, Gorgens S, Sudmeier LJ, Faivre-Finn C. Recent developments in limited stage small cell lung cancer. Transl Lung Cancer Res. 2019;8(Suppl 2):S147-S52.
JournalTranslational Lung Cancer Research
- Shifting from hypofractionated to "conventionally" fractionated thoracic radiotherapy: a single institution's 10-year experience in the management of limited-stage small-cell lung cancer using concurrent chemoradiation.
- Authors: Videtic GM, Truong PT, Dar AR, Yu EW, Stitt LW
- Issue date: 2003 Nov 1
- Once Daily High-dose Radiation (≥60 Gy) Treatment in Limited Stage Small Cell Lung Cancer.
- Authors: Zahra A, Chang T, Hejleh TA, Furqan M, Clamon GH, Bhatia SK, Watkins JM, Mott SL, Ahmann LL, Bodeker KL, Spitz DR, Buatti JM, Allen BG
- Issue date: 2016 Nov
- Radiation therapy in small cell lung cancer: a national Italian survey.
- Authors: Ciammella P, Timon G, Bruni A, Franceschini D, Borghetti P, Giaj-Levra N, Greco C, Scotti V, Trovo M, On the behalf of Associazione Italiana Radioterapia Oncologica (AIRO).
- Issue date: 2018 Jul
- Current Management and Progress in Radiotherapy for Small Cell Lung Cancer.
- Authors: Tjong MC, Mak DY, Shahi J, Li GJ, Chen H, Louie AV
- Issue date: 2020
- Radiation Therapy for Small Cell Lung Cancer: An ASTRO Clinical Practice Guideline.
- Authors: Simone CB 2nd, Bogart JA, Cabrera AR, Daly ME, DeNunzio NJ, Detterbeck F, Faivre-Finn C, Gatschet N, Gore E, Jabbour SK, Kruser TJ, Schneider BJ, Slotman B, Turrisi A, Wu AJ, Zeng J, Rosenzweig KE
- Issue date: 2020 May - Jun