Scientific rationale underpinning the development of biosimilar rituximab in hematological cancers and inflammatory diseases
AffiliationMaria Sklodowska-Curie Institute, Oncology Centre, Krakow, Poland
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSandoz rituximab (SDZ-RTX; Rixathon; GP2013), a rituximab biosimilar, was approved in June 2017 in Europe in all indications of reference rituximab. The stepwise SDZ-RTX development program generated extensive physicochemical, structural, functional, and biological data demonstrating a match with reference rituximab on all clinically relevant attributes. A focused clinical development program followed, in two indications selected for sensitivity to detect potential differences versus reference rituximab: rheumatoid arthritis (pivotal pharmacokinetics and efficacy evaluation) and follicular lymphoma (pivotal efficacy/safety evaluation). These trials demonstrated highly similar pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, efficacy, safety, and immunogenicity profiles. The totality of evidence for biosimilarity for SDZ-RTX, combined with knowledge that B-cell depletion is common to each approved indication, allowed SDZ-RTX approval for use in all indications of reference rituximab.
CitationJurczak W, Cohen S, Illidge TM, Silva AD, Amersdorffer J. Scientific rationale underpinning the development of biosimilar rituximab in hematological cancers and inflammatory diseases. Future Oncol. 2019;15(36):4223-34.
- Efficacy and safety of Sandoz biosimilar rituximab for active rheumatoid arthritis: 52-week results from the randomized controlled ASSIST-RA trial.
- Authors: Smolen JS, Cohen SB, Tony HP, Scheinberg M, Kivitz A, Balanescu A, Gomez-Reino J, Cen L, Poetzl J, Shisha T, Kollins D
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 5
- Brief Report: Safety and Immunogenicity of Rituximab Biosimilar GP 2013 After Switch From Reference Rituximab in Patients With Active Rheumatoid Arthritis.
- Authors: Tony HP, Krüger K, Cohen SB, Schulze-Koops H, Kivitz AJ, Jeka S, Vereckei E, Cen L, Kring L, Kollins D
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- GP2013: A Rituximab Biosimilar.
- Authors: Blair HA
- Issue date: 2017 Oct
- Pharmacokinetics, efficacy and safety of the rituximab biosimilar CT-P10.
- Authors: Coiffier B
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- A randomised, double-blind trial to demonstrate bioequivalence of GP2013 and reference rituximab combined with methotrexate in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis.
- Authors: Smolen JS, Cohen SB, Tony HP, Scheinberg M, Kivitz A, Balanescu A, Gomez-Reino J, Cen L, Zhu P, Shisha T
- Issue date: 2017 Sep