EAU-ESMO consensus statements on the management of advanced and variant bladder cancer-an international collaborative multi-stakeholder effort: under the auspices of the EAU and ESMO Guidelines Committees.
De Visschere, PJL
Van Der Heijden, AG
AffiliationEmeritus Professor, The Institute of Cancer Research, London, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Although guidelines exist for advanced and variant bladder cancer management, evidence is limited/conflicting in some areas and the optimal approach remains controversial. OBJECTIVE: To bring together a large multidisciplinary group of experts to develop consensus statements on controversial topics in bladder cancer management. DESIGN: A steering committee compiled proposed statements regarding advanced and variant bladder cancer management which were assessed by 113 experts in a Delphi survey. Statements not reaching consensus were reviewed; those prioritised were revised by a panel of 45 experts before voting during a consensus conference. SETTING: Online Delphi survey and consensus conference. PARTICIPANTS: The European Association of Urology (EAU), the European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO), experts in bladder cancer management. OUTCOME MEASUREMENTS AND STATISTICAL ANALYSIS: Statements were ranked by experts according to their level of agreement: 1-3 (disagree), 4-6 (equivocal), 7-9 (agree). A priori (level 1) consensus was defined as ?70% agreement and ?15% disagreement, or vice versa. In the Delphi survey, a second analysis was restricted to stakeholder group(s) considered to have adequate expertise relating to each statement (to achieve level 2 consensus). RESULTS AND LIMITATIONS: Overall, 116 statements were included in the Delphi survey. Of these, 33 (28%) statements achieved level 1 consensus and 49 (42%) statements achieved level 1 or 2 consensus. At the consensus conference, 22 of 27 (81%) statements achieved consensus. These consensus statements provide further guidance across a broad range of topics, including the management of variant histologies, the role/limitations of prognostic biomarkers in clinical decision making, bladder preservation strategies, modern radiotherapy techniques, the management of oligometastatic disease and the evolving role of checkpoint inhibitor therapy in metastatic disease. CONCLUSIONS: These consensus statements provide further guidance on controversial topics in advanced and variant bladder cancer management until a time where further evidence is available to guide our approach.
CitationHorwich A, Babjuk M, Bellmunt J, Bruins HM, Reijke TM, Santis M, et al. EAU-ESMO consensus statements on the management of advanced and variant bladder cancer-an international collaborative multi-stakeholder effort: under the auspices of the EAU and ESMO Guidelines Committeesdagger. Ann Oncol. 2019.
JournalAnnals of Oncology
- EAU-ESMO Consensus Statements on the Management of Advanced and Variant Bladder Cancer-An International Collaborative Multistakeholder Effort<sup>†</sup>: Under the Auspices of the EAU-ESMO Guidelines Committees.
- Authors: Witjes JA, Babjuk M, Bellmunt J, Bruins HM, De Reijke TM, De Santis M, Gillessen S, James N, Maclennan S, Palou J, Powles T, Ribal MJ, Shariat SF, Der Kwast TV, Xylinas E, Agarwal N, Arends T, Bamias A, Birtle A, Black PC, Bochner BH, Bolla M, Boormans JL, Bossi A, Briganti A, Brummelhuis I, Burger M, Castellano D, Cathomas R, Chiti A, Choudhury A, Compérat E, Crabb S, Culine S, De Bari B, De Blok W, J L De Visschere P, Decaestecker K, Dimitropoulos K, Dominguez-Escrig JL, Fanti S, Fonteyne V, Frydenberg M, Futterer JJ, Gakis G, Geavlete B, Gontero P, Grubmüller B, Hafeez S, Hansel DE, Hartmann A, Hayne D, Henry AM, Hernandez V, Herr H, Herrmann K, Hoskin P, Huguet J, Jereczek-Fossa BA, Jones R, Kamat AM, Khoo V, Kiltie AE, Krege S, Ladoire S, Lara PC, Leliveld A, Linares-Espinós E, Løgager V, Lorch A, Loriot Y, Meijer R, Mir MC, Moschini M, Mostafid H, Müller AC, Müller CR, N'Dow J, Necchi A, Neuzillet Y, Oddens JR, Oldenburg J, Osanto S, J G Oyen W, Pacheco-Figueiredo L, Pappot H, Patel MI, Pieters BR, Plass K, Remzi M, Retz M, Richenberg J, Rink M, Roghmann F, Rosenberg JE, Rouprêt M, Rouvière O, Salembier C, Salminen A, Sargos P, Sengupta S, Sherif A, Smeenk RJ, Smits A, Stenzl A, Thalmann GN, Tombal B, Turkbey B, Lauridsen SV, Valdagni R, Van Der Heijden AG, Van Poppel H, Vartolomei MD, Veskimäe E, Vilaseca A, Rivera FAV, Wiegel T, Wiklund P, Williams A, Zigeuner R, Horwich A
- Issue date: 2020 Feb
- An International Collaborative Consensus Statement on En Bloc Resection of Bladder Tumour Incorporating Two Systematic Reviews, a Two-round Delphi Survey, and a Consensus Meeting.
- Authors: Teoh JY, MacLennan S, Chan VW, Miki J, Lee HY, Chiong E, Lee LS, Wei Y, Yuan Y, Yu CP, Chow WK, Poon DM, Chan R, Lai F, Ng CF, Breda A, Kramer MW, Malavaud B, Mostafid H, Herrmann T, Babjuk M
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- European Association of Urology Guidelines on Muscle-invasive and Metastatic Bladder Cancer: Summary of the 2020 Guidelines.
- Authors: Witjes JA, Bruins HM, Cathomas R, Compérat EM, Cowan NC, Gakis G, Hernández V, Linares Espinós E, Lorch A, Neuzillet Y, Rouanne M, Thalmann GN, Veskimäe E, Ribal MJ, van der Heijden AG
- Issue date: 2021 Jan
- EAU-EANM-ESTRO-ESUR-SIOG Prostate Cancer Guideline Panel Consensus Statements for Deferred Treatment with Curative Intent for Localised Prostate Cancer from an International Collaborative Study (DETECTIVE Study).
- Authors: Lam TBL, MacLennan S, Willemse PM, Mason MD, Plass K, Shepherd R, Baanders R, Bangma CH, Bjartell A, Bossi A, Briers E, Briganti A, Buddingh KT, Catto JWF, Colecchia M, Cox BW, Cumberbatch MG, Davies J, Davis NF, De Santis M, Dell'Oglio P, Deschamps A, Donaldson JF, Egawa S, Fankhauser CD, Fanti S, Fossati N, Gandaglia G, Gillessen S, Grivas N, Gross T, Grummet JP, Henry AM, Ingels A, Irani J, Lardas M, Liew M, Lin DW, Moris L, Omar MI, Pang KH, Paterson CC, Renard-Penna R, Ribal MJ, Roobol MJ, Rouprêt M, Rouvière O, Sancho Pardo G, Richenberg J, Schoots IG, Sedelaar JPM, Stricker P, Tilki D, Vahr Lauridsen S, van den Bergh RCN, Van den Broeck T, van der Kwast TH, van der Poel HG, van Leenders GJLH, Varma M, Violette PD, Wallis CJD, Wiegel T, Wilkinson K, Zattoni F, N'Dow JMO, Van Poppel H, Cornford P, Mottet N
- Issue date: 2019 Dec
- International consensus for advanced bladder cancer: an opportunity between the lines.
- Authors: Murthy V
- Issue date: 2019 Nov 1