Microenvironmental IL1beta promotes breast cancer metastatic colonisation in the bone via activation of Wnt signalling
Alferez, Denis G
Hart, Claire A
Simoes, Bruno M
Howell, Sacha J
Clarke, Robert B
AffiliationBreast Biology Group, Manchester Breast Centre, Division of Cancer Sciences, Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health, University of Manchester, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, M20 4GJ, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDissemination of tumour cells to the bone marrow is an early event in breast cancer, however cells may lie dormant for many years before bone metastases develop. Treatment for bone metastases is not curative, therefore new adjuvant therapies which prevent the colonisation of disseminated cells into metastatic lesions are required. There is evidence that cancer stem cells (CSCs) within breast tumours are capable of metastasis, but the mechanism by which these colonise bone is unknown. Here, we establish that bone marrow-derived IL1? stimulates breast cancer cell colonisation in the bone by inducing intracellular NFkB and CREB signalling in breast cancer cells, leading to autocrine Wnt signalling and CSC colony formation. Importantly, we show that inhibition of this pathway prevents both CSC colony formation in the bone environment, and bone metastasis. These findings establish that targeting IL1?-NFKB/CREB-Wnt signalling should be considered for adjuvant therapy to prevent breast cancer bone metastasis.
CitationEyre R, Alferez DG, Santiago-Gomez A, Spence K, McConnell JC, Hart C, et al. Microenvironmental IL1beta promotes breast cancer metastatic colonisation in the bone via activation of Wnt signalling. Nat Commun. 2019;10(1):5016.
- Reactive astrocytes promote the metastatic growth of breast cancer stem-like cells by activating Notch signalling in brain.
- Authors: Xing F, Kobayashi A, Okuda H, Watabe M, Pai SK, Pandey PR, Hirota S, Wilber A, Mo YY, Moore BE, Liu W, Fukuda K, Iiizumi M, Sharma S, Liu Y, Wu K, Peralta E, Watabe K
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- Differential effects on lung and bone metastasis of breast cancer by Wnt signalling inhibitor DKK1.
- Authors: Zhuang X, Zhang H, Li X, Li X, Cong M, Peng F, Yu J, Zhang X, Yang Q, Hu G
- Issue date: 2017 Oct
- Endogenous Production of IL1B by Breast Cancer Cells Drives Metastasis and Colonization of the Bone Microenvironment.
- Authors: Tulotta C, Lefley DV, Freeman K, Gregory WM, Hanby AM, Heath PR, Nutter F, Wilkinson JM, Spicer-Hadlington AR, Liu X, Bradbury SMJ, Hambley L, Cookson V, Allocca G, Kruithof de Julio M, Coleman RE, Brown JE, Holen I, Ottewell PD
- Issue date: 2019 May 1
- FKBPL and its peptide derivatives inhibit endocrine therapy resistant cancer stem cells and breast cancer metastasis by downregulating DLL4 and Notch4.
- Authors: McClements L, Annett S, Yakkundi A, O'Rourke M, Valentine A, Moustafa N, Alqudah A, Simões BM, Furlong F, Short A, McIntosh SA, McCarthy HO, Clarke RB, Robson T
- Issue date: 2019 Apr 11
- Targeting CXCR1 on breast cancer stem cells: signaling pathways and clinical application modelling.
- Authors: Brandolini L, Cristiano L, Fidoamore A, De Pizzol M, Di Giacomo E, Florio TM, Confalone G, Galante A, Cinque B, Benedetti E, Ruffini PA, Cifone MG, Giordano A, Alecci M, Allegretti M, Cimini A
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 22