Eccles, Cynthia L
van Herk, Marcel
Hoskin, Peter J
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMagnetic resonance-guided radiation therapy (MRgRT) is a promising approach to improving clinical outcomes for patients treated with radiation therapy. The roles of image guidance, adaptive planning and magnetic resonance imaging in radiation therapy have been increasing over the last two decades. Technical advances have led to the feasible combination of magnetic resonance imaging and radiation therapy technologies, leading to improved soft-tissue visualisation, assessment of inter- and intrafraction motion, motion management, online adaptive radiation therapy and the incorporation of functional information into treatment. MRgRT can potentially transform radiation oncology by improving tumour control and quality of life after radiation therapy and increasing convenience of treatment by shortening treatment courses for patients. Multiple groups have developed clinical implementations of MRgRT predominantly in the abdomen and pelvis, with patients having been treated since 2014. While studies of MRgRT have primarily been dosimetric so far, an increasing number of trials are underway examining the potential clinical benefits of MRgRT, with coordinated efforts to rigorously evaluate the benefits of the promising technology. This review discusses the current implementations, studies, potential benefits and challenges of MRgRT.
CitationChin S, Eccles CL, McWilliam A, Chuter R, Walker E, Whitehurst P, et al. Magnetic resonance-guided radiation therapy: A review. J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol. 2019.
JournalJournal of Medical Imaging and Radiation Oncology
- First 500 Fractions Delivered with a Magnetic Resonance-guided Radiotherapy System: Initial Experience.
- Authors: Sahin B, Zoto Mustafayev T, Gungor G, Aydin G, Yapici B, Atalar B, Ozyar E
- Issue date: 2019 Dec 24
- Medical physics challenges in clinical MR-guided radiotherapy.
- Authors: Kurz C, Buizza G, Landry G, Kamp F, Rabe M, Paganelli C, Baroni G, Reiner M, Keall PJ, van den Berg CAT, Riboldi M
- Issue date: 2020 May 5
- The clinical introduction of MR-guided radiation therapy from a RTT perspective.
- Authors: Botman R, Tetar SU, Palacios MA, Slotman BJ, Lagerwaard FJ, Bruynzeel AME
- Issue date: 2019 Sep
- A New Era of Image Guidance with Magnetic Resonance-guided Radiation Therapy for Abdominal and Thoracic Malignancies.
- Authors: Mittauer K, Paliwal B, Hill P, Bayouth JE, Geurts MW, Baschnagel AM, Bradley KA, Harari PM, Rosenberg S, Brower JV, Wojcieszynski AP, Hullett C, Bayliss RA, Labby ZE, Bassetti MF
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 4
- A facility for magnetic resonance-guided radiation therapy.
- Authors: Jaffray DA, Carlone MC, Milosevic MF, Breen SL, Stanescu T, Rink A, Alasti H, Simeonov A, Sweitzer MC, Winter JD
- Issue date: 2014 Jul