Abdominal and gluteofemoral size and risk of liver cancer: the liver cancer pooling project
Renehan, Andrew G
Beane Freeman, LE
AffiliationDivision of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractObesity is known to be associated with primary liver cancer (PLC), but the separate effects of excess abdominal and gluteofemoral size are unclear. Thus, we examined the association between waist and hip circumference with risk of PLC overall and by histologic type - hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) and intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma (ICC). The Liver Cancer Pooling Project is a consortium of prospective cohort studies that includes data from 1,167,244 individuals (PLC n=2,208, HCC n=1,154, ICC n=335). Multivariable-adjusted hazards ratios (HRs) and 95% confidence intervals (CI) were estimated using proportional hazards regression. Waist circumference, per 5 cm increase, was associated with an 11% increased PLC risk (HR=1.11, 95%CI: 1.09-1.14), including when adjusted for hip circumference (HR=1.12, 95%CI: 1.08-1.17) and also when restricted to individuals in a normal body mass index (BMI) range (18.5-<25 kg/m2 ; HR=1.14, 95%CI: 1.07-1.21). Hip circumference, per 5 cm increase, was associated with a 9% increased PLC risk (HR=1.09, 95%CI: 1.06-1.12), but no association remained after adjustment for waist circumference (HR=0.99, 95%CI: 0.94-1.03). HCC and ICC results were similar. These findings suggest that excess abdominal size is associated with an increased risk of liver cancer, even among individuals considered to have a normal BMI. However, excess gluteofemoral size alone confers no increased risk. Our findings extend prior analyses, which found an association between excess adiposity and risk of liver cancer, by disentangling the separate effects of excess abdominal and gluteofemoral size through utilization of both waist and hip circumference measurements. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.
CitationFlorio AA, Campbell PT, Zhang X, Zeleniuch-Jacquotte A, Wactawski-Wende J, Smith-Warner SA, et al. Abdominal and Gluteofemoral Size and Risk of Liver Cancer: The Liver Cancer Pooling Project. Int J Cancer. 2019.
JournalInternational Journal of Cancer
- Tobacco, alcohol use and risk of hepatocellular carcinoma and intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma: The Liver Cancer Pooling Project.
- Authors: Petrick JL, Campbell PT, Koshiol J, Thistle JE, Andreotti G, Beane-Freeman LE, Buring JE, Chan AT, Chong DQ, Doody MM, Gapstur SM, Gaziano JM, Giovannucci E, Graubard BI, Lee IM, Liao LM, Linet MS, Palmer JR, Poynter JN, Purdue MP, Robien K, Rosenberg L, Schairer C, Sesso HD, Sinha R, Stampfer MJ, Stefanick M, Wactawski-Wende J, Zhang X, Zeleniuch-Jacquotte A, Freedman ND, McGlynn KA
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- Coffee Consumption and Risk of Hepatocellular Carcinoma and Intrahepatic Cholangiocarcinoma by Sex: The Liver Cancer Pooling Project.
- Authors: Petrick JL, Freedman ND, Graubard BI, Sahasrabuddhe VV, Lai GY, Alavanja MC, Beane-Freeman LE, Boggs DA, Buring JE, Chan AT, Chong DQ, Fuchs CS, Gapstur SM, Gaziano JM, Giovannucci EL, Hollenbeck AR, King LY, Koshiol J, Lee IM, Linet MS, Palmer JR, Poynter JN, Purdue MP, Robien K, Schairer C, Sesso HD, Sigurdson AJ, Zeleniuch-Jacquotte A, Wactawski-Wende J, Campbell PT, McGlynn KA
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- NSAID Use and Risk of Hepatocellular Carcinoma and Intrahepatic Cholangiocarcinoma: The Liver Cancer Pooling Project.
- Authors: Petrick JL, Sahasrabuddhe VV, Chan AT, Alavanja MC, Beane-Freeman LE, Buring JE, Chen J, Chong DQ, Freedman ND, Fuchs CS, Gaziano JM, Giovannucci E, Graubard BI, Hollenbeck AR, Hou L, Jacobs EJ, King LY, Koshiol J, Lee IM, Linet MS, Palmer JR, Purdue MP, Rosenberg L, Schairer C, Sesso HD, Sigurdson AJ, Wactawski-Wende J, Zeleniuch-Jacquotte A, Campbell PT, McGlynn KA
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Adiposity across the adult life course and incidence of primary liver cancer: The NIH-AARP cohort.
- Authors: Yang B, Petrick JL, Kelly SP, Graubard BI, Freedman ND, McGlynn KA
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 15
- Body Mass Index, Diabetes and Intrahepatic Cholangiocarcinoma Risk: The Liver Cancer Pooling Project and Meta-analysis.
- Authors: Petrick JL, Thistle JE, Zeleniuch-Jacquotte A, Zhang X, Wactawski-Wende J, Van Dyke AL, Stampfer MJ, Sinha R, Sesso HD, Schairer C, Rosenberg L, Rohan TE, Robien K, Purdue MP, Poynter JN, Palmer JR, Newton CC, Linet MS, Liao LM, Lee IM, Koshiol J, Kitahara CM, Hofmann JN, Graubard BI, Giovannucci E, Gaziano MJ, Gapstur SM, Freedman ND, Chong DQ, Chan AT, Buring JE, Freeman LBE, Campbell PT, McGlynn KA
- Issue date: 2018 Oct