Emerging epigenetic therapeutic targets in acute myeloid leukemia
AffiliationLeukaemia Biology Laboratory, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, University of Manchester, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAcute myeloid leukemia (AML) is a genetically heterogeneous malignancy for which treatment options have been largely limited to cytotoxic chemotherapy for the past four decades. Next-generation sequencing and other approaches have identified a spectrum of genomic and epigenomic alterations that contribute to AML initiation and maintenance. The key role of epigenetic modifiers and the reversibility of epigenetic changes have paved the way for evaluation of a new set of drug targets, and facilitated the design of novel candidate treatment strategies. More recently, seven new targeted therapies have been FDA-approved demonstrating successful implementation of the past decades' research. In this review, we will summarize the most recent advances in targeted therapeutics designed for a focused group of key epigenetic regulators in AML, outline their mechanism of action and their current status in clinical development. Furthermore, we will discuss promising new approaches for epigenetic targeted treatment in AML which are currently being tested in pre-clinical trials.
CitationWingelhofer B, Somervaille TCP. Emerging epigenetic therapeutic targets in acute myeloid leukemia. Front Oncol. 2019;9:850.
JournalFrontiers in Oncology
- Epigenetic regulators as promising therapeutic targets in acute myeloid leukemia.
- Authors: Gallipoli P, Giotopoulos G, Huntly BJ
- Issue date: 2015 Jun
- Epigenetic Therapy in Acute Myeloid Leukemia: Current and Future Directions.
- Authors: Kim TK, Gore SD, Zeidan AM
- Issue date: 2015 Jul
- Pharmacologic Targeting of Chromatin Modulators As Therapeutics of Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
- Authors: Lu R, Wang GG
- Issue date: 2017
- Targeting histone methyltransferase and demethylase in acute myeloid leukemia therapy.
- Authors: Castelli G, Pelosi E, Testa U
- Issue date: 2018
- Epigenetic therapy combinations in acute myeloid leukemia: what are the options?
- Authors: Bewersdorf JP, Shallis R, Stahl M, Zeidan AM
- Issue date: 2019