Validation of the IPF-specific version of St. George's Respiratory Questionnaire
AffiliationDepartment of Respiratory Diseases and Allergy, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) have impaired health-related quality of life (HRQL). To measure HRQL, an IPF-specific version of the St. George's Respiratory Questionnaire (SGRQ-I) was developed, but not sufficiently validated. This study aimed to assess the validity (i.a. known-groups validity and concurrent validity) and test-retest reliability of SGRQ-I in IPF patients with different disease durations. METHODS: Patients with IPF were consecutively recruited and completed SGRQ, SGRQ-I, King's Brief Interstitial Lung Disease questionnaire (K-BILD), University of California, San Diego Shortness of Breath Questionnaire (SOBQ) and Short Form-36 (SF-36) along with pulmonary function tests and a 6-min walk test (6MWT) at baseline. After two weeks, SGRQ-I and Global Rating of Change Scales (GRCS) were completed. RESULTS: At baseline and after two weeks, 150 and 134 patients completed the questionnaires, respectively. The internal consistency of SGRQ-I was high (Cronbach's ??=?0.92). Good concurrent validity was demonstrated by high intraclass correlation coefficients (ICC?=?0.97), Bland-Altman plots and moderate to strong correlations to K-BILD, SOBQ and SF-36 (r?=?-?0.46 to 0.80). High ICC (0.92) and a Bland-Altman plot indicated good test-retest reliability. SGRQ-I was good at discriminating between patients with different stages of disease (?score >?18.1, effect sizes >?0.10). Validity was similar across groups of different disease duration. CONCLUSIONS: SGRQ-I proved to be valid at distinguishing between different disease severities, valid compared to other HRQL instruments, applicable across different disease durations and reliable upon repetition. SGRQ-I is a valid option for measuring HRQL in patients with IPF. TRIAL REGISTRATION: The study was registered at clinicaltrials.org ( NCT02818712 ) on 15 June 2016.
CitationPrior TS, Hoyer N, Shaker SB, Davidsen JR, Yorke J, Hilberg O, et al. Validation of the IPF-specific version of St. George's Respiratory Questionnaire. Respir Res. 2019 Aug 28;20(1):199.
- Validation of the King's Brief Interstitial Lung Disease questionnaire in Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis.
- Authors: Prior TS, Hilberg O, Shaker SB, Davidsen JR, Hoyer N, Birring SS, Bendstrup E
- Issue date: 2019 Dec 19
- Responsiveness and minimal clinically important difference of SGRQ-I and K-BILD in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.
- Authors: Prior TS, Hoyer N, Hilberg O, Shaker SB, Davidsen JR, Bendstrup E
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 21
- Translation and validation of the King's Brief Interstitial Lung Disease (K-BILD) questionnaire in French, Italian, Swedish, and Dutch.
- Authors: Wapenaar M, Patel AS, Birring SS, Domburg RTV, Bakker EW, Vindigni V, Sköld CM, Cottin V, Vancheri C, Wijsenbeek MS
- Issue date: 2017 May
- Reliability and validity of Chinese version of a tool to assess the quality of life in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis in patients with interstitial lung disease.
- Authors: Pan RL, Swigris JJ, Zhao YW, Guo AM, Wu Q, Li SJ
- Issue date: 2019 Jan 10
- Translation to Spanish and Validation of the Specific Saint George's Questionnaire for Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis.
- Authors: Capparelli I, Fernandez M, Saadia Otero M, Steimberg J, Brassesco M, Campobasso A, Palacios S, Caro F, Alberti ML, Rabinovich RA, Paulin F
- Issue date: 2018 Feb