Duodenal neuroendocrine tumour associated with minimal change glomerulonephritis
AffiliationMedical Oncology, Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractParaneoplastic glomerular disease is an increasingly well-recognised entity, and a wide range of both solid and haematological malignancies have been implicated. The most common glomerular disease associated with cancer is membranous nephropathy. Only a few case reports have described an association between neuroendocrine tumours (NETs) and glomerulonephritis and only one paediatric case in relation to minimal change disease. A 76-year-old woman with a well-differentiated duodenal NET presented with nephrotic syndrome and renal biopsy was suggestive of minimal change glomerulonephritis. Standard therapy with corticosteroids brought little benefit, but a dramatic improvement was seen following initiation of systemic anticancer therapy with lanreotide, a somatostatin analogue. Less than 1?month after initiation of lanreotide, the patient was no longer in a nephrotic state, and after a further 2 months of follow-up had shown no sign of relapse.
CitationMontague E, Hockenhull K, Lamarca A, Al-Sayed T, Hubner RA. Duodenal neuroendocrine tumour associated with minimal change glomerulonephritis. BMJ Case Rep. 2019 Aug 30;12(8).
JournalBMJ Case Reports
- Minimal change glomerular disease: a paraneoplastic syndrome in two patients with bronchogenic carcinoma.
- Authors: Moorthy AV
- Issue date: 1983 Jul
- Minimal change nephrotic syndrome with cecum adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: Gandini E, Allaria P, Castiglioni A, d'Amato I, Schiaffino E, Giangrande A
- Issue date: 1996 Apr
- Minimal change nephropathy associated with anaplastic carcinoma of bronchus.
- Authors: Singer CR, Boulton-Jones JM
- Issue date: 1986 Mar
- Renal disease and syphilis: a report of nephrotic syndrome with minimal change disease.
- Authors: Krane NK, Espenan P, Walker PD, Bergman SM, Wallin JD
- Issue date: 1987 Feb
- Minimal change nephrotic syndrome associated with extrarenal neurilemmoma.
- Authors: Sood AK, Dua A, Mahajan A, Sharma R
- Issue date: 1997