Duodenal neuroendocrine tumour associated with minimal change glomerulonephritis
AffiliationMedical Oncology, Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractParaneoplastic glomerular disease is an increasingly well-recognised entity, and a wide range of both solid and haematological malignancies have been implicated. The most common glomerular disease associated with cancer is membranous nephropathy. Only a few case reports have described an association between neuroendocrine tumours (NETs) and glomerulonephritis and only one paediatric case in relation to minimal change disease. A 76-year-old woman with a well-differentiated duodenal NET presented with nephrotic syndrome and renal biopsy was suggestive of minimal change glomerulonephritis. Standard therapy with corticosteroids brought little benefit, but a dramatic improvement was seen following initiation of systemic anticancer therapy with lanreotide, a somatostatin analogue. Less than 1?month after initiation of lanreotide, the patient was no longer in a nephrotic state, and after a further 2 months of follow-up had shown no sign of relapse.
CitationMontague E, Hockenhull K, Lamarca A, Al-Sayed T, Hubner RA. Duodenal neuroendocrine tumour associated with minimal change glomerulonephritis. BMJ Case Rep. 2019 Aug 30;12(8).
JournalBMJ Case Reports
- Nephrotic syndrome and renal failure as an unusual presentation of solid tumour.
- Authors: Bonkain F, Ena G, Depierreux M, Debelle FD, Nortier JL
- Issue date: 2010 Feb
- Paraneoplastic glomerular diseases and malignancies.
- Authors: Bacchetta J, Juillard L, Cochat P, Droz JP
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- [Glomerulonephritis in neoplastic disease].
- Authors: Mazanowska O, Klinger M
- Issue date: 2005 Aug
- Coexistence of Anti-Glomerular Basement Membrane Glomerulonephritis and Membranous Nephropathy in a Female Patient with Preserved Renal Function.
- Authors: Ogawara A, Harada M, Ichikawa T, Fujii K, Ehara T, Kobayashi M
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- Distribution of glomerular diseases in Taiwan: preliminary report of National Renal Biopsy Registry-publication on behalf of Taiwan Society of Nephrology.
- Authors: Chiu HF, Chen HC, Lu KC, Shu KH, Taiwan Society of Nephrology.
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 10