Patterns of recurrence after resection of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma: a secondary analysis of the ESPAC-4 randomized adjuvant chemotherapy trial
Valle, Juan W
AffiliationThe Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Liverpool,
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIMPORTANCE: The patterns of disease recurrence after resection of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma with adjuvant chemotherapy remain unclear. OBJECTIVE: To define patterns of recurrence after adjuvant chemotherapy and the association with survival. DESIGN, SETTING, AND PARTICIPANTS: Prospectively collected data from the phase 3 European Study Group for Pancreatic Cancer 4 adjuvant clinical trial, an international multicenter study. The study included 730 patients who had resection and adjuvant chemotherapy for pancreatic cancer. Data were analyzed between July 2017 and May 2019. INTERVENTIONS: Randomization to adjuvant gemcitabine or gemcitabine plus capecitabine. MAIN OUTCOMES AND MEASURES: Overall survival, recurrence, and sites of recurrence. RESULTS: Of the 730 patients, median age was 65 years (range 37-81 years), 414 were men (57%), and 316 were women (43%). The median follow-up time from randomization was 43.2 months (95% CI, 39.7-45.5 months), with overall survival from time of surgery of 27.9 months (95% CI, 24.8-29.9 months) with gemcitabine and 30.2 months (95% CI, 25.8-33.5 months) with the combination (HR, 0.81; 95% CI, 0.68-0.98; P?=?.03). The 5-year survival estimates were 17.1% (95% CI, 11.6%-23.5%) and 28.0% (22.0%-34.3%), respectively. Recurrence occurred in 479 patients (65.6%); another 78 patients (10.7%) died without recurrence. Local recurrence occurred at a median of 11.63 months (95% CI, 10.05-12.19 months), significantly different from those with distant recurrence with a median of 9.49 months (95% CI, 8.44-10.71 months) (HR, 1.21; 95% CI, 1.01-1.45; P?=?.04). Following recurrence, the median survival was 9.36 months (95% CI, 8.08-10.48 months) for local recurrence and 8.94 months (95% CI, 7.82-11.17 months) with distant recurrence (HR, 0.89; 95% CI, 0.73-1.09; P?=?.27). The median overall survival of patients with distant-only recurrence (23.03 months; 95% CI, 19.55-25.85 months) or local with distant recurrence (23.82 months; 95% CI, 17.48-28.32 months) was not significantly different from those with only local recurrence (24.83 months; 95% CI, 22.96-27.63 months) (P?=?.85 and P?=?.35, respectively). Gemcitabine plus capecitabine had a 21% reduction of death following recurrence compared with monotherapy (HR, 0.79; 95% CI, 0.64-0.98; P?=?.03). CONCLUSIONS AND RELEVANCE: There were no significant differences between the time to recurrence and subsequent and overall survival between local and distant recurrence. Pancreatic cancer behaves as a systemic disease requiring effective systemic therapy after resection. TRIAL REGISTRATION: Clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT00058201, EudraCT 2007-004299-38, and ISRCTN 96397434.
CitationJones RP, Psarelli EE, Jackson R, Ghaneh P, Halloran CM, Palmer DH, et al. Patterns of recurrence after resection of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma: a secondary analysis of the ESPAC-4 randomized adjuvant chemotherapy trial. JAMA Surg. 2019 Sep 4.
- Comparison of adjuvant gemcitabine and capecitabine with gemcitabine monotherapy in patients with resected pancreatic cancer (ESPAC-4): a multicentre, open-label, randomised, phase 3 trial.
- Authors: Neoptolemos JP, Palmer DH, Ghaneh P, Psarelli EE, Valle JW, Halloran CM, Faluyi O, O'Reilly DA, Cunningham D, Wadsley J, Darby S, Meyer T, Gillmore R, Anthoney A, Lind P, Glimelius B, Falk S, Izbicki JR, Middleton GW, Cummins S, Ross PJ, Wasan H, McDonald A, Crosby T, Ma YT, Patel K, Sherriff D, Soomal R, Borg D, Sothi S, Hammel P, Hackert T, Jackson R, Büchler MW, European Study Group for Pancreatic Cancer
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 11
- Safety and efficacy of adjuvant chemoradiation therapy with capecitabine after resection of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma: a retrospective review.
- Authors: Kim ST, Lee J, Park SH, Lee JK, Lee KT, Lee KH, Heo JS, Choi SH, Choi DW, Park YS, Lim HY, Kang WK, Jang KT, Park HC, Lim DH, Park JO
- Issue date: 2012 Oct
- The Impact of Positive Resection Margins on Survival and Recurrence Following Resection and Adjuvant Chemotherapy for Pancreatic Ductal Adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: Ghaneh P, Kleeff J, Halloran CM, Raraty M, Jackson R, Melling J, Jones O, Palmer DH, Cox TF, Smith CJ, O'Reilly DA, Izbicki JR, Scarfe AG, Valle JW, McDonald AC, Carter R, Tebbutt NC, Goldstein D, Padbury R, Shannon J, Dervenis C, Glimelius B, Deakin M, Anthoney A, Lerch MM, Mayerle J, Oláh A, Rawcliffe CL, Campbell F, Strobel O, Büchler MW, Neoptolemos JP, European Study Group for Pancreatic Cancer
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- Five-Year Outcomes of FOLFIRINOX vs Gemcitabine as Adjuvant Therapy for Pancreatic Cancer: A Randomized Clinical Trial.
- Authors: Conroy T, Castan F, Lopez A, Turpin A, Ben Abdelghani M, Wei AC, Mitry E, Biagi JJ, Evesque L, Artru P, Lecomte T, Assenat E, Bauguion L, Ychou M, Bouché O, Monard L, Lambert A, Hammel P, Canadian Cancer Trials Group and the Unicancer-GI–PRODIGE Group
- Issue date: 2022 Nov 1
- Adjuvant chemotherapy with fluorouracil plus folinic acid vs gemcitabine following pancreatic cancer resection: a randomized controlled trial.
- Authors: Neoptolemos JP, Stocken DD, Bassi C, Ghaneh P, Cunningham D, Goldstein D, Padbury R, Moore MJ, Gallinger S, Mariette C, Wente MN, Izbicki JR, Friess H, Lerch MM, Dervenis C, Oláh A, Butturini G, Doi R, Lind PA, Smith D, Valle JW, Palmer DH, Buckels JA, Thompson J, McKay CJ, Rawcliffe CL, Büchler MW, European Study Group for Pancreatic Cancer
- Issue date: 2010 Sep 8