AffiliationThe Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLung cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer and biggest cause of cancer mortality worldwide with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) accounting for most cases. Radiotherapy (RT) plays a key role in its management and is used at least once in over half of patients in both curative and palliative treatments. This narrative review will demonstrate how the evolution of RT for NSCLC has been underpinned by improvements in RT technology. These improvements have facilitated geometric individualization, increasingly accurate treatment and now offer the ability to deliver truly individualized RT. In this review, we summarize and discuss recent developments in the field of advanced RT in early stage, locally advanced and metastatic NSCLC. We highlight limitations in current approaches and discuss future potential treatment strategies for patients with NSCLC.
CitationBrown S, Banfill K, Aznar MC, Whitehurst P, Faivre Finn C. The evolving role of radiotherapy in non-small cell lung cancer. The British journal of radiology. 2019 Sep 19:20190524.
JournalBr J Radiol
- A critical review of recent developments in radiotherapy for non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Baker S, Dahele M, Lagerwaard FJ, Senan S
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 6
- IMRT and 3D conformal radiotherapy with or without elective nodal irradiation in locally advanced NSCLC: A direct comparison of PET-based treatment planning.
- Authors: Fleckenstein J, Kremp K, Kremp S, Palm J, Rübe C
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy May Improve Local-Regional Tumor Control for Locally Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Compared With Three-Dimensional Conformal Radiation Therapy.
- Authors: Wang J, Zhou Z, Liang J, Feng Q, Xiao Z, Hui Z, Wang X, Lv J, Chen D, Zhang H, Ji Z, Cao J, Liu L, Jiang W, Men Y, Xu C, Dai J, Yin W, Wang L
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Image-guided adaptive radiotherapy in patients with locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer: the art of PET.
- Authors: Grootjans W, de Geus-Oei LF, Bussink J
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- Influence of conformal radiotherapy technique on survival after chemoradiotherapy for patients with stage III non-small cell lung cancer in the National Cancer Data Base.
- Authors: Sher DJ, Koshy M, Liptay MJ, Fidler MJ
- Issue date: 2014 Jul 1