Identification of a biomarker panel for early detection of lung cancer patients
AffiliationStoller Biomarker Discovery Centre, Institute of Cancer Sciences, Faculty of Medical and Human Sciences , University of Manchester , Manchester M13 9PL
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLung cancer is the most common cause of cancer-related mortality worldwide, characterized by late clinical presentation (49-53% of patients are diagnosed at stage IV) and consequently poor outcomes. One challenge in identifying biomarkers of early disease is the collection of samples from patients prior to symptomatic presentation. We used blood collected during surgical resection of lung tumors in an iTRAQ isobaric tagging experiment to identify proteins effluxing from tumors into pulmonary veins. Forty proteins were identified as having an increased abundance in the vein draining from the tumor compared to "healthy" pulmonary veins. These protein markers were then assessed in a second cohort that utilized the mass spectrometry (MS) technique: Sequential window acquisition of all theoretical fragment ion spectra (SWATH) MS. SWATH-MS was used to measure proteins in serum samples taken from 25 patients <50 months prior to and at lung cancer diagnosis and 25 matched controls. The SWATH-MS analysis alone produced an 11 protein marker panel. A machine learning classification model was generated that could discriminate patient samples from patients within 12 months of lung cancer diagnosis and control samples. The model was evaluated as having a mean AUC of 0.89, with an accuracy of 0.89. This panel was combined with the SWATH-MS data from one of the markers from the first cohort to create a 12 protein panel. The proteome signature developed for lung cancer risk can now be developed on further cohorts.
CitationGeary B, Walker MJ, Snow JT, Lee DCH, Pernemalm M, Maleki-Dizaji S, et al. Identification of a biomarker panel for early detection of lung cancer patients. J Proteome Res. 2019 Sep 6;18(9):3369-82.
JournalJournal of Proteome Research
- Serum mass profile signature as a biomarker of early lung cancer.
- Authors: Widlak P, Pietrowska M, Polanska J, Marczyk M, Ros-Mazurczyk M, Dziadziuszko R, Jassem J, Rzyman W
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- Discovery of potential protein biomarkers of lung adenocarcinoma in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid by SWATH MS data-independent acquisition and targeted data extraction.
- Authors: Ortea I, Rodríguez-Ariza A, Chicano-Gálvez E, Arenas Vacas MS, Jurado Gámez B
- Issue date: 2016 Apr 14
- Exploration of the platelet proteome in patients with early-stage cancer.
- Authors: Sabrkhany S, Kuijpers MJE, Knol JC, Olde Damink SWM, Dingemans AC, Verheul HM, Piersma SR, Pham TV, Griffioen AW, Oude Egbrink MGA, Jimenez CR
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 15
- Proteomic investigation on bio-corona of Au, Ag and Fe nanoparticles for the discovery of triple negative breast cancer serum protein biomarkers.
- Authors: Del Pilar Chantada-Vázquez M, López AC, Vence MG, Vázquez-Estévez S, Acea-Nebril B, Calatayud DG, Jardiel T, Bravo SB, Núñez C
- Issue date: 2020 Feb 10
- Discovery of lung cancer biomarkers by profiling the plasma proteome with monoclonal antibody libraries.
- Authors: Guergova-Kuras M, Kurucz I, Hempel W, Tardieu N, Kádas J, Malderez-Bloes C, Jullien A, Kieffer Y, Hincapie M, Guttman A, Csánky E, Dezso B, Karger BL, Takács L
- Issue date: 2011 Dec