AffiliationDepartment of Radiation Oncology, Crown Princess Mary Cancer Centre, Westmead Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNon-melanoma skin cancer (NMSC) represents the most frequently diagnosed malignancy worldwide, most being cutaneous basal cell and squamous cell carcinoma. The global incidence of NMSC continues to increase as the global population ages. Numerous treatment options are available for NMSC patients, with radiotherapy an efficacious and tissue-preserving non-surgical option. External beam radiotherapy and brachytherapy are modalities with specific indications and advantages in treating NMSC. Where excision is not an option (medically/technically inoperable) or considered less ideal (e.g. cosmetic or functional outcome), radiotherapy offers an excellent alternative. Inoperable elderly and/or co-morbid patients of poor performance status can benefit from short-course hypofractionated radiotherapy, with very acceptable toxicity. Adjuvant radiotherapy in patients with unfavourable pathology can decrease the risk of local and regional recurrence and associated morbidity and mortality. Radiotherapy has advantages and disadvantages and it is important for clinicians to understand these. Managing patients with NMSC is carried out by clinicians from multiple disciplines but it is imperative that they are all aware of the role of radiotherapy in their patients in various clinical settings. Here we aim to discuss the role and indications for recommending radiotherapy in patients with NMSC.
CitationVeness MJ, Delishaj D, Barnes EA, Bezugly A, Rembielak A. Current role of radiotherapy in non-melanoma skin cancer. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2019 Aug 22.
JournalClinical Oncology (Royal College of Radiologists(Great Britain))
- The role of radiotherapy in the management of non-melanoma skin cancer.
- Authors: Garbutcheon-Singh KB, Veness MJ
- Issue date: 2019 Nov
- Role of radiotherapy in the management of organ transplant recipients diagnosed with non-melanoma skin cancers.
- Authors: Veness MJ, Harris D
- Issue date: 2007 Feb
- High-dose-rate (HDR) plesiotherapy with custom-made moulds for the treatment of non-melanoma skin cancer.
- Authors: Montero A, Hernanz R, Capuz AB, Fernández E, Hervás A, Colmenares R, Polo A, Sancho S, Molerón R, Vallejo C, Ramos A
- Issue date: 2009 Nov
- The role of personalized Interventional Radiotherapy (brachytherapy) in the management of older patients with non-melanoma skin cancer.
- Authors: Lancellotta V, Kovács G, Tagliaferri L, Perrucci E, Rembielak A, Stingeni L, Tramontana M, Hansel K, Colloca G, Saldi S, Valentini V, Aristei C
- Issue date: 2019 May
- Efficacy of hypofractionated radiotherapy in patients with non-melanoma skin cancer: Results of a systematic review.
- Authors: Gunaratne DA, Veness MJ
- Issue date: 2018 Jun