Ibrutinib plus venetoclax in relapsed/refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia: the CLARITY study
AffiliationLeeds Institute of Medical Research at St James's, University of Leeds, Leeds, United Kingdom
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPURPOSE: The treatment of chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) has been revolutionized by targeted therapies that either inhibit proliferation (ibrutinib) or reactivate apoptosis (venetoclax). Both significantly improve survival in CLL and replace chemoimmunotherapy for many patients. However, individually, they rarely lead to eradication of measurable residual disease (MRD) and usually are taken indefinitely or until progression. We present the CLARITY trial that combined ibrutinib with venetoclax to eradicate detectable CLL with the intention of stopping therapy. PATIENTS AND METHODS: CLARITY is a phase II trial that combined ibrutinib with venetoclax in patients with relapsed or refractory CLL. The primary end point was eradication of MRD after 12 months of combined therapy. Key secondary end points were response by International Workshop on CLL criteria, safety, and progression-free and overall survival. RESULTS: In 53 patients after 12 months of ibrutinib plus venetoclax, MRD negativity (fewer than one CLL cell in 10,000 leukocytes) was achieved in the blood of 28 (53%) and the marrow of 19 (36%). Forty-seven patients (89%) responded, and 27 (51%) achieved a complete remission. After a median follow-up of 21.1 months, one patient progressed, and all patients were alive. A single case of biochemical tumor lysis syndrome was observed. Other adverse effects were mild and/or manageable and most commonly were neutropenia or GI events. CONCLUSION: The combination of ibrutinib plus venetoclax was well tolerated in patients with relapsed or refractory CLL. There was a high rate of MRD eradication that led to the cessation of therapy in some patients. The progression-free and overall survival rates are encouraging for relapsed and refractory CLL.
CitationHillmen P, Rawstron A, Brock K, Munoz-Vicente S, Yates FJ, Bishop R, et al. Ibrutinib plus venetoclax in relapsed/refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia: the CLARITY study. J Clin Oncol. 2019.
JournalJournal of Clincal Oncology
- Phase 1b study of obinutuzumab, ibrutinib, and venetoclax in relapsed and refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia.
- Authors: Rogers KA, Huang Y, Ruppert AS, Awan FT, Heerema NA, Hoffman C, Lozanski G, Maddocks KJ, Moran ME, Reid MA, Lucas M, Woyach JA, Whitlow WT, Jones JA, Byrd JC
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 11
- Venetoclax plus rituximab in relapsed or refractory chronic lymphocytic leukaemia: a phase 1b study.
- Authors: Seymour JF, Ma S, Brander DM, Choi MY, Barrientos J, Davids MS, Anderson MA, Beaven AW, Rosen ST, Tam CS, Prine B, Agarwal SK, Munasinghe W, Zhu M, Lash LL, Desai M, Cerri E, Verdugo M, Kim SY, Humerickhouse RA, Gordon GB, Kipps TJ, Roberts AW
- Issue date: 2017 Feb
- BTK inhibitor therapy is effective in patients with CLL resistant to venetoclax.
- Authors: Lin VS, Lew TE, Handunnetti SM, Blombery P, Nguyen T, Westerman DA, Kuss BJ, Tam CS, Roberts AW, Seymour JF, Anderson MA
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 18
- Prognostic risk score for patients with relapsed or refractory chronic lymphocytic leukaemia treated with targeted therapies or chemoimmunotherapy: a retrospective, pooled cohort study with external validations.
- Authors: Soumerai JD, Ni A, Darif M, Londhe A, Xing G, Mun Y, Kay NE, Shanafelt TD, Rabe KG, Byrd JC, Chanan-Khan AA, Furman RR, Hillmen P, Jones J, Seymour JF, Sharman JP, Ferrante L, Mobasher M, Stark T, Reddy V, Dreiling LK, Bhargava P, Howes A, James DF, Zelenetz AD
- Issue date: 2019 Jul
- Venetoclax for chronic lymphocytic leukaemia progressing after ibrutinib: an interim analysis of a multicentre, open-label, phase 2 trial.
- Authors: Jones JA, Mato AR, Wierda WG, Davids MS, Choi M, Cheson BD, Furman RR, Lamanna N, Barr PM, Zhou L, Chyla B, Salem AH, Verdugo M, Humerickhouse RA, Potluri J, Coutre S, Woyach J, Byrd JC
- Issue date: 2018 Jan