The What Now? workbook: its potential utility following life-changing events
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Following a life-changing event, such as a serious illness, people can experience a disruption of meaning and identity, making it difficult to move forwarD The "What Now?" Workbook was developed to enable exploration of the personal meanings of specific occupations to facilitate future planning. PURPOSE: The aim of this study was to investigate the utility-usability and usefulness-of the workbook in practicEe. METHOD: Five occupational therapists trialled the workbook at a specialist cancer centre in EnglanD Qualitative data were gathered via a focus group, an interview, and questionnaireS The data were subject to a realist thematic analysis. FINDINGS: The findings showed the workbook to have actual and potential utility for service users in this setting, as perceived by their occupational therapists, by helping them to explore occupations, their loss, meanings, and future possibilities as part of an occupational therapy intervention. IMPLICATIONS: The workbook appears to offer a structured yet flexible way to explore personal meanings of occupations, enabling service users to gain insights and move forward following a life-changing illness.
CitationTaylor JA, Jones V, Farrell CD. The What Now? workbook: its potential utility following life-changing events. Can J Occup Ther. 2019;86(1):40-7.
JournalCanadian Journal of Occupational Therapy Revue Canadienne d'Ergothe?rapie
- Developing an emotional coping skills workbook for inpatient psychiatric settings: a focus group investigation.
- Authors: Sharp M, Gulati A, Barker C, Barnicot K
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 22
- Occupational possibilities in a Brazilian mental health service: The perspective of users.
- Authors: Moraes Salles M, Simões Matsukura T
- Issue date: 2016
- The perceived meaning of occupations among children: correlations with children's socio-emotional characteristics and executive functions.
- Authors: Rosenberg L, Avrech Bar M
- Issue date: 2020 Dec
- The Daily Experiences of Pleasure, Productivity, and Restoration Profile: A case study: Étude de cas sur l'utilité du Daily Experiences of Pleasure, Productivity, and Restoration Profile.
- Authors: Atler KE, Barney L, Moravec A, Sample PL, Fruhauf CA
- Issue date: 2017 Oct/Dec
- Paediatric occupational therapists' reflections on meaning in professional practice: a phenomenological study.
- Authors: Smith KT, Kinsella EA
- Issue date: 2009 Oct