A challenging presentation of invasive nasopharyngeal sarcomatoid carcinoma
AffiliationDepartment of Otolaryngology, Stockport NHS Foundation Trust, Stockport, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSarcomatoid carcinoma is a rare clinical entity, especially when presenting in the nasopharynx. We describe the first documented case of nasopharyngeal sarcomatoid carcinoma with intracranial extension in a 59-year-old Caucasian man presenting with severe bifrontal headache and diplopia, secondary to left abducens nerve palsy. We highlight some of the major diagnostic challenges and describe its unusual histological appearance. We outline the importance of a multidisciplinary approach to his management, which includes input from the medicine, neurosurgery, Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT), pathology, radiology, oncology and respiratory teams. In the context of limited evidence, we then describe the rationale to proceed with induction chemotherapy followed by concurrent chemoradiotherapy. Although there was a partial response to treatment, it was not sufficient enough to allow subsequent surgical clearance. The plan going forward is to palliate with chemotherapy as and when the disease progresses.
CitationYao A, Saeed H, Udall G, Kaushik V, Lee LW. A challenging presentation of invasive nasopharyngeal sarcomatoid carcinoma. BMJ Case Rep. 2019;12(7).
JournalBMJ Case Reports
- Isolated unilateral sixth nerve palsy in a patient with nasopharyngeal carcinoma.
- Authors: Aghdam KA, Zand A, Sanjari MS
- Issue date: 2019 Oct-Dec
- Final results of a randomized phase III trial of induction chemotherapy followed by concurrent chemoradiotherapy versus concurrent chemoradiotherapy alone in patients with stage IVA and IVB nasopharyngeal carcinoma-Taiwan Cooperative Oncology Group (TCOG) 1303 Study.
- Authors: Hong RL, Hsiao CF, Ting LL, Ko JY, Wang CW, Chang JTC, Lou PJ, Wang HM, Tsai MH, Lai SC, Liu TW
- Issue date: 2018 Sep 1
- Current management of stage IV nasopharyngeal carcinoma without distant metastasis.
- Authors: Ng WT, Corry J, Langendijk JA, Lee AWM, Mäkitie A, Mendenhall WM, Rinaldo A, Rodrigo JP, Saba NF, Smee R, Strojan P, Suárez C, Vermorken JB, Ferlito A
- Issue date: 2020 Apr
- Induction Chemotherapy Plus Concurrent Chemoradiotherapy Versus Concurrent Chemoradiotherapy Alone in Locoregionally Advanced Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma in Children and Adolescents: A Matched Cohort Analysis.
- Authors: Li Y, Tang LQ, Liu LT, Guo SS, Liang YJ, Sun XS, Tang QN, Bei JX, Tan J, Chen S, Ma J, Zhao C, Chen QY, Mai HQ
- Issue date: 2018 Oct
- Induction chemotherapy plus concurrent chemoradiotherapy versus induction chemotherapy plus volumetric modulated arc therapy alone in the treatment of stage II-IVB nasopharyngeal carcinoma patients: a retrospective controlled study.
- Authors: Liu L, Fei Z, Chen M, Zhao L, Su H, Gu D, Lin B, Cai X, Lu L, Gao M, Ye X, Jin X, Xie C
- Issue date: 2018 Aug 13