EPAC-lung: pooled analysis of circulating tumour cells in advanced non-small cell lung cancer
AuthorsLindsay, Colin R
Blackhall, Fiona H
Krebs, Matthew G
Renehan, Andrew G
AffiliationDivision of Molecular and Clinical Cancer Sciences, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractINTRODUCTION: We assessed the clinical validity of circulating tumour cell (CTC) quantification for prognostication of patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) by undertaking a pooled analysis of individual patient data. METHODS: Nine European NSCLC CTC centres were asked to provide reported/unreported pseudo-anonymised data for patients with advanced NSCLC who participated in CellSearch CTC studies from January 2003 to March 2017. We used Cox regression models, stratified by centres, to establish the association between CTC count and survivaL We assessed the added value of CTCs to prognostic clinicopathological models using likelihood ratio (LR) statistics and c-indices. RESULTS: Seven out of nine eligible centres provided data for 550 patients with prognostic information for overall survivaL CTC counts of >/=2 and >/= 5 per 7.5 mL were associated with reduced progression-free survival (>/=2 CTCs: hazard ratio [HR] = 1.72, p < 0.001; >/=5 CTCs: HR = 2.21, p < 0.001) and overall survival (>/=2 CTCs: HR = 2.18, p < 0.001; >/=5 CTCs: HR = 2.75, p < 0.001), respectively. Survival prediction was significantly improved by addition of baseline CTC count to LR clinicopathological models (log-transformed CTCs p < 0.001; >/=2 CTCs p < 0.001; >/=5 CTCs p </= 0.001 for both survival end-points), whereas moderate improvements were observed with the use of c-index modelS There was some evidence of between-centre heterogeneity, especially when examining continuous counts of CTCS. CONCLUSIONS: These data confirm CTCs as an independent prognostic indicator of progression-free survival and overall survival in advanced NSCLC and also reveal some evidence of between-centre heterogeneitY CTC count improves prognostication when added to full clinicopathological predictive models
CitationLindsay CR, Blackhall FH, Carmel A, Fernandez-Gutierrez F, Gazzaniga P, Groen HJM, et al. EPAC-lung: pooled analysis of circulating tumour cells in advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Eur J Cancer. 2019;117:60-8.
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer
- Clinical validity of circulating tumour cells in patients with metastatic breast cancer: a pooled analysis of individual patient data.
- Authors: Bidard FC, Peeters DJ, Fehm T, Nolé F, Gisbert-Criado R, Mavroudis D, Grisanti S, Generali D, Garcia-Saenz JA, Stebbing J, Caldas C, Gazzaniga P, Manso L, Zamarchi R, de Lascoiti AF, De Mattos-Arruda L, Ignatiadis M, Lebofsky R, van Laere SJ, Meier-Stiegen F, Sandri MT, Vidal-Martinez J, Politaki E, Consoli F, Bottini A, Diaz-Rubio E, Krell J, Dawson SJ, Raimondi C, Rutten A, Janni W, Munzone E, Carañana V, Agelaki S, Almici C, Dirix L, Solomayer EF, Zorzino L, Johannes H, Reis-Filho JS, Pantel K, Pierga JY, Michiels S
- Issue date: 2014 Apr
- The role of circulating tumor cells in evaluation of prognosis and treatment response in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Zhou J, Dong F, Cui F, Xu R, Tang X
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- Prognostic significance of circulating tumor cells in advanced non-small cell lung cancer patients treated with docetaxel and gemcitabine.
- Authors: Juan O, Vidal J, Gisbert R, Muñoz J, Maciá S, Gómez-Codina J
- Issue date: 2014 Jul
- Circulating tumour cell increase as a biomarker of disease progression in metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer patients with low baseline CTC counts.
- Authors: Lorente D, Olmos D, Mateo J, Dolling D, Bianchini D, Seed G, Flohr P, Crespo M, Figueiredo I, Miranda S, Scher HI, Terstappen LWMM, de Bono JS
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 1
- A prospective examination of circulating tumor cell profiles in non-small-cell lung cancer molecular subgroups.
- Authors: Lindsay CR, Faugeroux V, Michiels S, Pailler E, Facchinetti F, Ou D, Bluthgen MV, Pannet C, Ngo-Camus M, Bescher G, Caramella C, Billiot F, Remon J, Planchard D, Soria JC, Besse B, Farace F
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 1