AffiliationCancer Research Center, Qatar Biomedical Research Institute (QBRI), Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU), Qatar Foundation (QF), PO Box 34110, Doha, Qatar
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractInteractions between immune checkpoints (ICs) and their ligands negatively regulate T cell activation pathways involved in physiological immune responses against specific antigens. ICs and their ligands are frequently upregulated in the tumor microenvironment (TME) of various malignancies, and they represent significant barriers for induction of effective anti-tumor immune responses. Several IC inhibitors (ICIs) have been developed, with some currently in clinical trials and others have been approved for the treatment of different cancers. However, tumor cells are able to counteract the activity of ICIs and can commission additional inhibitory pathways via expression of other ICs/ligands within the TME. This review discusses the expression of various ICs/ligands in the TME and their impact on tumor immune evasion. Additionally, we discuss various regulatory mechanisms, including genetic and epigenetic, and other modulatory factors including hypoxia and the presence of immunosuppressive populations in the TME, which result in upregulation of ICs in various cancers. Moreover, we discuss the prognostic significance of ICs and their ligands, and the potential strategies to enhance treatment responses to ICIs. This review aims to advance our current knowledge on the role of ICs in the TME and the clinical benefits of targeting them.
CitationToor SM, Sasidharan Nair V, Decock J, Elkord E. Immune checkpoints in the tumor microenvironment. Semin Cancer Biol. 2019 Jun 29.
JournalSeminars in Cancer Biology
- Treg-mediated acquired resistance to immune checkpoint inhibitors.
- Authors: Saleh R, Elkord E
- Issue date: 2019 Aug 10
- Of immune checkpoint maladies and remedies: The throwing of jabs in the oncogenic ring of PDAC.
- Authors: Olaoba OT, Ligali FC, Alabi ZO, Akinyemi AO, Ayinde KS
- Issue date: 2021 Jan
- Cancer immunotherapy resistance based on immune checkpoints inhibitors: Targets, biomarkers, and remedies.
- Authors: Pérez-Ruiz E, Melero I, Kopecka J, Sarmento-Ribeiro AB, García-Aranda M, De Las Rivas J
- Issue date: 2020 Dec
- Viral status, immune microenvironment and immunological response to checkpoint inhibitors in hepatocellular carcinoma.
- Authors: Ho WJ, Danilova L, Lim SJ, Verma R, Xavier S, Leatherman JM, Sztein MB, Fertig EJ, Wang H, Jaffee E, Yarchoan M
- Issue date: 2020 Apr
- Immunomodulation to enhance the efficacy of an HPV therapeutic vaccine.
- Authors: Smalley Rumfield C, Pellom ST, Morillon Ii YM, Schlom J, Jochems C
- Issue date: 2020 Jun