Trends in melanoma mortality in the population groups of South Africa
AffiliationEnvironment and Health Research Unit, South African Medical Research Council, Pretoria, South Africa
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe incidence of cutaneous melanoma (CM) is increasing in countries around the world. However, little is known about melanoma trends in African countries by population group. We studied CM mortality in South Africa from 1997 to 2014 to partly address this knowledge gap. Unit record mortality data for all South Africans who died from CM (n = 8,537) were obtained from Statistics South Africa. Join-point regression models were used to assess whether there was a statistically significant change in the direction and/or magnitude of the annual trends in CM mortality. A significant increasing trend of 11% per year was observed in age-adjusted mortality rates in men between 2000 and 2005 (p < 0.01), rising from 2 to 3 per 100,000. There was also a statistically significant increase of 180% per year among White South Africans from 1997 to 1999 (p < 0.05) and of 3% from 1999 to 2014 (p < 0.01). These results may be used to inform CM awareness campaigns and will motivate efforts to improve the collection and analysis of relevant statistics regarding the present burden of CM in South Africa.
CitationWright CY, Kapwata T, Singh E, Green AC, Baade P, Kellett P, et al. Trends in melanoma mortality in the population groups of South Africa. Dermatology. 2019 Jul 3:1-4.
- Malignant melanoma in Cape Town, South Africa.
- Authors: Saxe N, Hoffman M, Krige JE, Sayed R, King HS, Hounsell K
- Issue date: 1998 Jun
- Disparities in melanoma incidence and mortality in South-Eastern Europe: Increasing incidence and divergent mortality patterns. Is progress around the corner?
- Authors: Barbaric J, Sekerija M, Agius D, Coza D, Dimitrova N, Demetriou A, Safaei Diba C, Eser S, Gavric Z, Primic-Zakelj M, Zivkovic S, Zvolsky M, Bray F, Coebergh JW, Znaor A
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- International trends in cutaneous melanoma.
- Authors: Swerdlow AJ
- Issue date: 1990
- The forthcoming inexorable decline of cutaneous melanoma mortality in light-skinned populations.
- Authors: Autier P, Koechlin A, Boniol M
- Issue date: 2015 May
- Cutaneous melanoma.
- Authors: Armstrong BK, Kricker A
- Issue date: 1994