So Close, yet so far: discrepancies between uveal and other melanomas. A position paper from UM Cure 2020
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology and INSERM U830, Institut Curie, PSL Research University, 75005 Paris, France.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDespite much progress in our understanding of uveal melanoma (UM) over the past decades, this rare tumour is still often misclassified. Although UM, like other melanomas, is very probably derived from melanocytes, it is drastically different from cutaneous melanoma and most other melanoma subtypes in terms of epidemiology, aetiology, biology and clinical features, including an intriguing metastatic hepatotropism. UM carries distinctive prognostic chromosome alterations, somatic mutations and gene expression profiles, allowing an active tailored surveillance strategy and dedicated adjuvant clinical trials. There is no standard systemic treatment for disseminated UM at present. In contrast to cutaneous melanoma, UMs are not BRAF-mutated, thus curtailing the use of B-Raf inhibitors. Although these tumours are characterised by some immune infiltrates, immune checkpoint inhibitors are rarely effective, possibly due to a low mutation burden. UM patients across the world not only face rare cancer-related issues (e.g., specific management strategies, access to information and to expert centres), but also specific UM problems, which can be exacerbated by the common misconception that it is a subtype of cutaneous melanoma. As a European Consortium dedicated to research on UM and awareness on the disease, "UM Cure 2020" participants urge medical oncologists, pharmaceutical companies, and regulatory agencies to acknowledge UM as a melanoma with specific issues, in order to accelerate the development of new therapies for patients.
CitationRodrigues M, Koning L, Coupland SE, Jochemsen AG, Marais R, Stern MH, et al. So Close, yet so far: discrepancies between uveal and other melanomas. A position paper from UM Cure 2020. Cancers (Basel). 2019 Jul 22;11(7).
- Uveal Melanoma: A European Network to Face the Many Challenges of a Rare Cancer.
- Authors: Piperno-Neumann S, Piulats JM, Goebeler M, Galloway I, Lugowska I, Becker JC, Vihinen P, Van Calster J, Hadjistilianou T, Proença R, Caminal JM, Rogasik M, Blay JY, Kapiteijn E
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 13
- Systemic treatments for metastatic cutaneous melanoma.
- Authors: Pasquali S, Hadjinicolaou AV, Chiarion Sileni V, Rossi CR, Mocellin S
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 6
- Conjunctival malignant melanoma in Denmark: epidemiology, treatment and prognosis with special emphasis on tumorigenesis and genetic profile.
- Authors: Larsen AC
- Issue date: 2016 May
- Role of immune checkpoint inhibitors and novel immunotherapies in uveal melanoma.
- Authors: Jindal V
- Issue date: 2018 Feb
- Genotype-dependent sensitivity of uveal melanoma cell lines to inhibition of B-Raf, MEK, and Akt kinases: rationale for personalized therapy.
- Authors: Mitsiades N, Chew SA, He B, Riechardt AI, Karadedou T, Kotoula V, Poulaki V
- Issue date: 2011 Sep 14