Green, Adèle C
van der Pols, JC
AffiliationDepartment of Dermatology, CHU Nice, Université Côte d'Azur, 06200, Nice, France.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Global concern about vitamin D deficiency has fuelled debates on photoprotection and the importance of solar exposure to meet vitamin D requirements. OBJECTIVES: To review the published evidence to reach a consensus on the influence of photoprotection by sunscreens on vitamin D status, considering other relevant factors. METHODS: An international panel of 13 experts in endocrinology, dermatology, photobiology, epidemiology and biological anthropology reviewed the literature prior to a 1-day meeting in June 2017, during which the evidence was discussed. Methods of assessment and determining factors of vitamin D status, and public health perspectives were examined and consequences of sun exposure and the effects of photoprotection were assessed. RESULTS: A serum level of >/= 50 nmol L(-1) 25(OH)D is a target for all individuals. Broad-spectrum sunscreens that prevent erythema are unlikely to compromise vitamin D status in healthy populations. Vitamin D screening should be restricted to those at risk of hypovitaminosis, such as patients with photosensitivity disorders, who require rigorous photoprotection. Screening and supplementation are advised for this group. CONCLUSIONS: Sunscreen use for daily and recreational photoprotection does not compromise vitamin D synthesis, even when applied under optimal conditions.
CitationPasseron T, Bouillon R, Callender V, Cestari T, Diepgen TL, Green AC, et al. Sunscreen photoprotection and vitamin D status. Br J Dermatol. 2019 May 8.
JournalBritish Journal of Dermatology
- Optimal sunscreen use, during a sun holiday with a very high ultraviolet index, allows vitamin D synthesis without sunburn.
- Authors: Young AR, Narbutt J, Harrison GI, Lawrence KP, Bell M, O'Connor C, Olsen P, Grys K, Baczynska KA, Rogowski-Tylman M, Wulf HC, Lesiak A, Philipsen PA
- Issue date: 2019 Nov
- Photoprotection and vitamin D status.
- Authors: Springbett P, Buglass S, Young AR
- Issue date: 2010 Nov 3
- Sun exposure behavior and protection: recommendations for travelers.
- Authors: Diaz JH, Nesbitt LT Jr
- Issue date: 2013 Mar-Apr
- The effect of sunscreen on vitamin D: a review.
- Authors: Neale RE, Khan SR, Lucas RM, Waterhouse M, Whiteman DC, Olsen CM
- Issue date: 2019 Nov