Management of patients with high-risk and advanced prostate cancer in the Middle East: resource-stratified consensus recommendations
Al Hamdani, N
Al Hallaq, Y
El Khoury, C
AffiliationDivision of Hematology/Oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, American University of Beirut Medical Center, Riad El Solh, 1107 2020, Beirut, Lebanon.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPURPOSE: Prostate cancer care in the Middle East is highly variable and access to specialist multidisciplinary management is limited. Academic tertiary referral centers offer cutting-edge diagnosis and treatment; however, in many parts of the region, patients are managed by non-specialists with limited resources. Due to many factors including lack of awareness and lack of prostate-specific antigen (PSA) screening, a high percentage of men present with locally advanced and metastatic prostate cancer at diagnosis. The aim of these recommendations is to assist clinicians in managing patients with different levels of access to diagnostic and treatment modalities. METHODS: The first Advanced Prostate Cancer Consensus Conference (APCCC) satellite meeting for the Middle East was held in Beirut, Lebanon, November 2017. During this meeting a consortium of urologists, medical oncologists, radiation oncologist and imaging specialists practicing in Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia voted on a selection of consensus questions. An additional workshop to formulate resource-stratified consensus recommendations was held in March 2019. RESULTS: Variations in practice based on available resources have been proposed to form resource-stratified recommendations for imaging at diagnosis, initial management of localized prostate cancer requiring therapy, treatment of castration-sensitive/naive advanced prostate cancer and treatment of castration-resistant prostate cancer. CONCLUSION: This is the first regional consensus on prostate cancer management from the Middle East. The following recommendations will be useful to urologists and oncologists practicing in all areas with limited access to specialist multi-disciplinary teams, diagnostic modalities and treatment resources.
CitationMukherji D, Youssef B, Dagher C, El-Hajj A, Nasr R, Geara F, et al. Management of patients with high-risk and advanced prostate cancer in the Middle East: resource-stratified consensus recommendations. World J Urol. 2019 Jul 11.
JournalWorld Journal of Urology
- EAU guidelines on prostate cancer. Part II: Treatment of advanced, relapsing, and castration-resistant prostate cancer.
- Authors: Heidenreich A, Bastian PJ, Bellmunt J, Bolla M, Joniau S, van der Kwast T, Mason M, Matveev V, Wiegel T, Zattoni F, Mottet N, European Association of Urology.
- Issue date: 2014 Feb
- Management of patients with advanced prostate cancer in the Asia Pacific region: 'real-world' consideration of results from the Advanced Prostate Cancer Consensus Conference (APCCC) 2017.
- Authors: Chiong E, Murphy DG, Akaza H, Buchan NC, Chung BH, Kanesvaran R, Khochikar M, Letran J, Lojanapiwat B, Ng CF, Ong T, Pu YS, Saad M, Schubach K, Türkeri L, Umbas R, Le Chuyen V, Williams S, Ye DW, ANZUP Cancer Trials Group., Davis ID
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- EAU-ESTRO-SIOG Guidelines on Prostate Cancer. Part II: Treatment of Relapsing, Metastatic, and Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer.
- Authors: Cornford P, Bellmunt J, Bolla M, Briers E, De Santis M, Gross T, Henry AM, Joniau S, Lam TB, Mason MD, van der Poel HG, van der Kwast TH, Rouvière O, Wiegel T, Mottet N
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- Management of patients with advanced prostate cancer: recommendations of the St Gallen Advanced Prostate Cancer Consensus Conference (APCCC) 2015.
- Authors: Gillessen S, Omlin A, Attard G, de Bono JS, Efstathiou E, Fizazi K, Halabi S, Nelson PS, Sartor O, Smith MR, Soule HR, Akaza H, Beer TM, Beltran H, Chinnaiyan AM, Daugaard G, Davis ID, De Santis M, Drake CG, Eeles RA, Fanti S, Gleave ME, Heidenreich A, Hussain M, James ND, Lecouvet FE, Logothetis CJ, Mastris K, Nilsson S, Oh WK, Olmos D, Padhani AR, Parker C, Rubin MA, Schalken JA, Scher HI, Sella A, Shore ND, Small EJ, Sternberg CN, Suzuki H, Sweeney CJ, Tannock IF, Tombal B
- Issue date: 2015 Aug
- Management of advanced prostate cancer in Hong Kong: Insights from an APCCC-Derived survey.
- Authors: Poon DM, Ma WK, Chan TW, Ho FK, Ho LY, Leung AK, Leung SY, Sze HC, Kwong PW, Chan ES
- Issue date: 2019 Oct