Management of patients with high-risk and advanced prostate cancer in the Middle East: resource-stratified consensus recommendations
Al Hamdani, N
Al Hallaq, Y
El Khoury, C
AffiliationDivision of Hematology/Oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, American University of Beirut Medical Center, Riad El Solh, 1107 2020, Beirut, Lebanon.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPURPOSE: Prostate cancer care in the Middle East is highly variable and access to specialist multidisciplinary management is limited. Academic tertiary referral centers offer cutting-edge diagnosis and treatment; however, in many parts of the region, patients are managed by non-specialists with limited resources. Due to many factors including lack of awareness and lack of prostate-specific antigen (PSA) screening, a high percentage of men present with locally advanced and metastatic prostate cancer at diagnosis. The aim of these recommendations is to assist clinicians in managing patients with different levels of access to diagnostic and treatment modalities. METHODS: The first Advanced Prostate Cancer Consensus Conference (APCCC) satellite meeting for the Middle East was held in Beirut, Lebanon, November 2017. During this meeting a consortium of urologists, medical oncologists, radiation oncologist and imaging specialists practicing in Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia voted on a selection of consensus questions. An additional workshop to formulate resource-stratified consensus recommendations was held in March 2019. RESULTS: Variations in practice based on available resources have been proposed to form resource-stratified recommendations for imaging at diagnosis, initial management of localized prostate cancer requiring therapy, treatment of castration-sensitive/naive advanced prostate cancer and treatment of castration-resistant prostate cancer. CONCLUSION: This is the first regional consensus on prostate cancer management from the Middle East. The following recommendations will be useful to urologists and oncologists practicing in all areas with limited access to specialist multi-disciplinary teams, diagnostic modalities and treatment resources.
CitationMukherji D, Youssef B, Dagher C, El-Hajj A, Nasr R, Geara F, et al. Management of patients with high-risk and advanced prostate cancer in the Middle East: resource-stratified consensus recommendations. World J Urol. 2019 Jul 11.
JournalWorld Journal of Urology
- Management of Patients with Advanced Prostate Cancer: The Report of the Advanced Prostate Cancer Consensus Conference APCCC 2017.
- Authors: Gillessen S, Attard G, Beer TM, Beltran H, Bossi A, Bristow R, Carver B, Castellano D, Chung BH, Clarke N, Daugaard G, Davis ID, de Bono J, Borges Dos Reis R, Drake CG, Eeles R, Efstathiou E, Evans CP, Fanti S, Feng F, Fizazi K, Frydenberg M, Gleave M, Halabi S, Heidenreich A, Higano CS, James N, Kantoff P, Kellokumpu-Lehtinen PL, Khauli RB, Kramer G, Logothetis C, Maluf F, Morgans AK, Morris MJ, Mottet N, Murthy V, Oh W, Ost P, Padhani AR, Parker C, Pritchard CC, Roach M, Rubin MA, Ryan C, Saad F, Sartor O, Scher H, Sella A, Shore N, Smith M, Soule H, Sternberg CN, Suzuki H, Sweeney C, Sydes MR, Tannock I, Tombal B, Valdagni R, Wiegel T, Omlin A
- Issue date: 2018 Feb
- Management of Patients with Advanced Prostate Cancer: Report of the Advanced Prostate Cancer Consensus Conference 2019.
- Authors: Gillessen S, Attard G, Beer TM, Beltran H, Bjartell A, Bossi A, Briganti A, Bristow RG, Chi KN, Clarke N, Davis ID, de Bono J, Drake CG, Duran I, Eeles R, Efstathiou E, Evans CP, Fanti S, Feng FY, Fizazi K, Frydenberg M, Gleave M, Halabi S, Heidenreich A, Heinrich D, Higano CTS, Hofman MS, Hussain M, James N, Kanesvaran R, Kantoff P, Khauli RB, Leibowitz R, Logothetis C, Maluf F, Millman R, Morgans AK, Morris MJ, Mottet N, Mrabti H, Murphy DG, Murthy V, Oh WK, Ost P, O'Sullivan JM, Padhani AR, Parker C, Poon DMC, Pritchard CC, Reiter RE, Roach M, Rubin M, Ryan CJ, Saad F, Sade JP, Sartor O, Scher HI, Shore N, Small E, Smith M, Soule H, Sternberg CN, Steuber T, Suzuki H, Sweeney C, Sydes MR, Taplin ME, Tombal B, Türkeri L, van Oort I, Zapatero A, Omlin A
- Issue date: 2020 Apr
- Management of advanced prostate cancer in Hong Kong: Insights from an APCCC-Derived survey.
- Authors: Poon DM, Ma WK, Chan TW, Ho FK, Ho LY, Leung AK, Leung SY, Sze HC, Kwong PW, Chan ES
- Issue date: 2019 Oct
- Management of advanced prostate cancer in a middle-income country: real-world consideration of the Advanced Prostate Cancer Consensus Conference 2017.
- Authors: Saad M, Alip A, Lim J, Abdullah MM, Chong FLT, Chua CB, Ismail F, Khong RK, Lim CS, Loh CS, Malek R, Mohd Ghani KA, Md Noor I, Md Yusoff NA, Nasuha NA, Razack A, Soo Hoo HF, Sundram M, Tan HM, Thiagarajan M, Teh GC, Voon PJ, Ong TA
- Issue date: 2019 Sep
- Management of patients with advanced prostate cancer in the Asia Pacific region: 'real-world' consideration of results from the Advanced Prostate Cancer Consensus Conference (APCCC) 2017.
- Authors: Chiong E, Murphy DG, Akaza H, Buchan NC, Chung BH, Kanesvaran R, Khochikar M, Letran J, Lojanapiwat B, Ng CF, Ong T, Pu YS, Saad M, Schubach K, Türkeri L, Umbas R, Le Chuyen V, Williams S, Ye DW, ANZUP Cancer Trials Group., Davis ID
- Issue date: 2019 Jan