Chemical purification of terbium-155 from pseudo-isobaric impurities in a mass separated source produced at CERN
AffiliationNational Physical Laboratory, Teddington, TW11 0LW, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFour terbium radioisotopes ((149, 152, 155, 161)Tb) constitute a potential theranostic quartet for cancer treatment but require any derived radiopharmaceutical to be essentially free of impurities. Terbium-155 prepared by proton irradiation and on-line mass separation at the CERN-ISOLDE and CERN-MEDICIS facilities contains radioactive (139)Ce(16)O and also zinc or gold, depending on the catcher foil used. A method using ion-exchange and extraction chromatography resins in two column separation steps has been developed to isolate (155)Tb with a chemical yield of >/=95% and radionuclidic purity >/=99.9%. Conversion of terbium into a form suitable for chelation to targeting molecules in diagnostic nuclear medicine is presented. The resulting (155)Tb preparations are suitable for the determination of absolute activity, SPECT phantom imaging studies and pre-clinical trials.
CitationWebster B, Ivanov P, Russell B, Collins S, Stora T, Ramos JP, et al. Chemical purification of terbium-155 from pseudo-isobaric impurities in a mass separated source produced at CERN. Sci Rep. 2019 Jul 26;9(1):10884.
- Future prospects for SPECT imaging using the radiolanthanide terbium-155 - production and preclinical evaluation in tumor-bearing mice.
- Authors: Müller C, Fischer E, Behe M, Köster U, Dorrer H, Reber J, Haller S, Cohrs S, Blanc A, Grünberg J, Bunka M, Zhernosekov K, van der Meulen N, Johnston K, Türler A, Schibli R
- Issue date: 2014 May
- A unique matched quadruplet of terbium radioisotopes for PET and SPECT and for α- and β- radionuclide therapy: an in vivo proof-of-concept study with a new receptor-targeted folate derivative.
- Authors: Müller C, Zhernosekov K, Köster U, Johnston K, Dorrer H, Hohn A, van der Walt NT, Türler A, Schibli R
- Issue date: 2012 Dec
- Production of terbium-152 by heavy ion reactions and proton induced spallation.
- Authors: Allen BJ, Goozee G, Sarkar S, Beyer G, Morel C, Byrne AP
- Issue date: 2001 Jan
- Scandium and terbium radionuclides for radiotheranostics: current state of development towards clinical application.
- Authors: Müller C, Domnanich KA, Umbricht CA, van der Meulen NP
- Issue date: 2018 Nov
- Clinical evaluation of the radiolanthanide terbium-152: first-in-human PET/CT with <sup>152</sup>Tb-DOTATOC.
- Authors: Baum RP, Singh A, Benešová M, Vermeulen C, Gnesin S, Köster U, Johnston K, Müller D, Senftleben S, Kulkarni HR, Türler A, Schibli R, Prior JO, van der Meulen NP, Müller C
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 31