Temporal stability and prognostic biomarker potential of the prostate cancer urine transcriptome
Bristow, Robert G
AffiliationOntario Institute for Cancer Research, Toronto, Canada
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: To provide rapid evaluation of patients with advanced urological malignancies, a joint urological-oncological clinic was initiated at our institution in January 2015. We present the first 3-year evaluation of this joint urological-oncological clinic in Switzerland. METHOD: We performed a retrospective analysis of the characteristics and treatment of all patients reviewed at the joint clinic between January 2015 and December 2017. Statistical analysis was performed by survival analysis. A patient satisfaction questionnaire was handed out to new patients (from April to September 2017). RESULTS: A total of 135 new patients were counseled in the joint clinic and 563 consultations were performed in the period from January 2015 to December 2017. The majority were men with prostate cancer (85%), followed by bladder cancer (9%), and renal cell carcinoma (4%). Men with newly diagnosed metastatic prostate cancer (n = 69) received ADT alone (57%), ADT with docetaxel or abiraterone (33%), and metastasis-directed therapy (10%). High rates of patient satisfaction were reported based on the questionnaire. CONCLUSIONS: The joint clinic model has been successfully implemented at our institution and continues on a weekly basis. The clinic is increasingly used, not only for newly diagnosed metastatic prostate cancer, but also for other complex uro-oncological cases. The clinic allows optimized oncological treatment without delay and with a reduced effort for patients.
CitationJeon J, Olkhov-Mitsel E, Xie H, Yao CQ, Zhao F, Jahangiri S, et al. Temporal stability and prognostic biomarker potential of the prostate cancer urine transcriptome. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2019 Jun 4.
JournalJournal of the National Cancer Institute
- Zinc α2-glycoprotein as a potential novel urine biomarker for the early diagnosis of prostate cancer.
- Authors: Katafigiotis I, Tyritzis SI, Stravodimos KG, Alamanis C, Pavlakis K, Vlahou A, Makridakis M, Katafigioti A, Garbis SD, Constantinides CA
- Issue date: 2012 Dec
- Diagnostic and Prognostic MicroRNA Biomarkers for Prostate Cancer in Cell-free Urine.
- Authors: Fredsøe J, Rasmussen AKI, Thomsen AR, Mouritzen P, Høyer S, Borre M, Ørntoft TF, Sørensen KD
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- Diagnostic, prognostic and predictive value of cell-free miRNAs in prostate cancer: a systematic review.
- Authors: Endzeliņš E, Melne V, Kalniņa Z, Lietuvietis V, Riekstiņa U, Llorente A, Linē A
- Issue date: 2016 May 18
- Detection of High-grade Prostate Cancer Using a Urinary Molecular Biomarker-Based Risk Score.
- Authors: Van Neste L, Hendriks RJ, Dijkstra S, Trooskens G, Cornel EB, Jannink SA, de Jong H, Hessels D, Smit FP, Melchers WJ, Leyten GH, de Reijke TM, Vergunst H, Kil P, Knipscheer BC, Hulsbergen-van de Kaa CA, Mulders PF, van Oort IM, Van Criekinge W, Schalken JA
- Issue date: 2016 Nov
- A serum microRNA classifier for early detection of hepatocellular carcinoma: a multicentre, retrospective, longitudinal biomarker identification study with a nested case-control study.
- Authors: Lin XJ, Chong Y, Guo ZW, Xie C, Yang XJ, Zhang Q, Li SP, Xiong Y, Yuan Y, Min J, Jia WH, Jie Y, Chen MS, Chen MX, Fang JH, Zeng C, Zhang Y, Guo RP, Wu Y, Lin G, Zheng L, Zhuang SM
- Issue date: 2015 Jul