Shared decision-making for patients with advanced urological malignancies: evaluation of a joint urological-oncological clinic model
AffiliationDepartment of Urology, Cantonal Hospital St. Gallen, St. Gallen, Switzerland
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: To provide rapid evaluation of patients with advanced urological malignancies, a joint urological-oncological clinic was initiated at our institution in January 2015. We present the first 3-year evaluation of this joint urological-oncological clinic in Switzerland. METHOD: We performed a retrospective analysis of the characteristics and treatment of all patients reviewed at the joint clinic between January 2015 and December 2017. Statistical analysis was performed by survival analysis. A patient satisfaction questionnaire was handed out to new patients (from April to September 2017). RESULTS: A total of 135 new patients were counseled in the joint clinic and 563 consultations were performed in the period from January 2015 to December 2017. The majority were men with prostate cancer (85%), followed by bladder cancer (9%), and renal cell carcinoma (4%). Men with newly diagnosed metastatic prostate cancer (n = 69) received ADT alone (57%), ADT with docetaxel or abiraterone (33%), and metastasis-directed therapy (10%). High rates of patient satisfaction were reported based on the questionnaire. CONCLUSIONS: The joint clinic model has been successfully implemented at our institution and continues on a weekly basis. The clinic is increasingly used, not only for newly diagnosed metastatic prostate cancer, but also for other complex uro-oncological cases. The clinic allows optimized oncological treatment without delay and with a reduced effort for patients.
CitationBetschart P, Babst C, Schmid S, Rothermundt C, Abt D, Schwab C, et al. Shared decision-making for patients with advanced urological malignancies: evaluation of a joint urological-oncological clinic model. Oncol Res Treat. 2019 Jun 6:1-8.
JournalOncology Research and Treatment
- Anticancer Activity and Tolerance of Treatments Received Beyond Progression in Men Treated Upfront with Androgen Deprivation Therapy With or Without Docetaxel for Metastatic Castration-naïve Prostate Cancer in the GETUG-AFU 15 Phase 3 Trial.
- Authors: Lavaud P, Gravis G, Foulon S, Joly F, Oudard S, Priou F, Latorzeff I, Mourey L, Soulié M, Delva R, Krakowski I, Laguerre B, Théodore C, Ferrero JM, Beuzeboc P, Habibian M, Rolland F, Deplanque G, Pouessel D, Zanetta S, Berdah JF, Dauba J, Baciuchka M, Platini C, Linassier C, Tubiana-Mathieu N, Machiels JP, Kouri CE, Ravaud A, Suc E, Eymard JC, Hasbini A, Bousquet G, Culine S, Boher JM, Tergemina-Clain G, Legoupil C, Fizazi K
- Issue date: 2018 May
- Comparison of Abiraterone Acetate and Docetaxel with Androgen Deprivation Therapy in High-risk and Metastatic Hormone-naïve Prostate Cancer: A Systematic Review and Network Meta-analysis.
- Authors: Wallis CJD, Klaassen Z, Bhindi B, Goldberg H, Chandrasekar T, Farrell AM, Boorjian SA, Kulkarni GS, Karnes RJ, Satkunasivam R
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- Patient-reported outcomes following abiraterone acetate plus prednisone added to androgen deprivation therapy in patients with newly diagnosed metastatic castration-naive prostate cancer (LATITUDE): an international, randomised phase 3 trial.
- Authors: Chi KN, Protheroe A, Rodríguez-Antolín A, Facchini G, Suttman H, Matsubara N, Ye Z, Keam B, Damião R, Li T, McQuarrie K, Jia B, De Porre P, Martin J, Todd MB, Fizazi K
- Issue date: 2018 Feb
- EAU guidelines on prostate cancer. Part II: Treatment of advanced, relapsing, and castration-resistant prostate cancer.
- Authors: Heidenreich A, Bastian PJ, Bellmunt J, Bolla M, Joniau S, van der Kwast T, Mason M, Matveev V, Wiegel T, Zattoni F, Mottet N, European Association of Urology.
- Issue date: 2014 Feb
- Clinical Outcomes of First-line Abiraterone Acetate or Enzalutamide for Metastatic Castration-resistant Prostate Cancer After Androgen Deprivation Therapy + Docetaxel or ADT Alone for Metastatic Hormone-sensitive Prostate Cancer.
- Authors: Francini E, Yip S, Ahmed S, Li H, Ardolino L, Evan CP, Kaymakcalan M, Shaw GK, Kantoff PW, Taplin ME, Alimohamed NS, Joshua AM, Heng DYC, Sweeney CJ
- Issue date: 2018 Apr