Real-world effectiveness and safety of pazopanib in patients with intermediate prognostic risk advanced renal cell carcinoma
Hawkins, Robert E
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori, Milan, Italy
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractINTRODUCTION: The objective of this study was to determine the effectiveness and safety of pazopanib in patients with intermediate-risk advanced/metastatic renal cell carcinoma in the PRINCIPAL study (NCT01649778). PATIENTS AND METHODS: Patients had clear-cell advanced/metastatic renal cell carcinoma and met intermediate-risk International Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma Database Consortium (IMDC) and Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSKCC) criteria. Assessments included progression-free survival, overall survival, objective response rate, and safety. We also evaluated effectiveness based on number of risk factors, age, and performance status (PS), as well as safety in older and younger patients. RESULTS: Three hundred sixty three and 343 intermediate-risk MSKCC and IMDC patients were included, respectively. The median progression-free survival was 13.8 months (95% confidence interval [CI], 10.7-18.1 months) and 7.4 months (95% CI, 6.2-10.3 months) for patients with 1 and 2 MSKCC risk factors, respectively, and 13.1 months (95% CI, 10.7-18.1 months) and 8.1 months (95% CI, 6.4-10.7 months) for patients with 1 and 2 IMDC risk factors, respectively. The median overall survival was not reached and was 15.2 months (95% CI, 12.3-26.5 months) for patients with 1 and 2 MSKCC risk factors, respectively, and 33.9 months (95% CI, 33.9 months to not estimable) and 19.4 months (95% CI, 14.3 months to not estimable) with 1 and 2 IMDC risk factors, respectively. A lower overall response rate was observed with Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group PS ³ 2 (vs. PS < 2). All-grade treatment-related adverse events occurred in approximately 63% of patients, and the safety profile among older and younger patients was similar. CONCLUSIONS: Outcomes with pazopanib in intermediate-risk patients suggest that patients can be further stratified by number of risk factors (1 vs. 2) and Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group PS (< 2 vs. ³ 2) to more accurately predict outcomes.
CitationProcopio G, Bamias A, Schmidinger M, Hawkins R, Sanchez AR, Estevez SV, et al. Real-world effectiveness and safety of pazopanib in patients with intermediate prognostic risk advanced renal cell carcinoma. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2019;17(3).
JournalClinical Genitourinary Cancer
- Heterogeneity of Patients With Intermediate-Prognosis Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma Treated With Sunitinib.
- Authors: Sella A, Michaelson MD, Matczak E, Simantov R, Lin X, Figlin RA
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- Validation of the International Metastatic Renal-Cell Carcinoma Database Consortium (IMDC) prognostic model for first-line pazopanib in metastatic renal carcinoma: the Spanish Oncologic Genitourinary Group (SOGUG) SPAZO study.
- Authors: Pérez-Valderrama B, Arranz Arija JA, Rodríguez Sánchez A, Pinto Marín A, Borrega García P, Castellano Gaunas DE, Rubio Romero G, Maximiano Alonso C, Villa Guzmán JC, Puertas Álvarez JL, Chirivella González I, Méndez Vidal MJ, Juan Fita MJ, León-Mateos L, Lázaro Quintela M, García Domínguez R, Jurado García JM, Vélez de Mendizábal E, Lambea Sorrosal JJ, García Carbonero I, González del Alba A, Suárez Rodríguez C, Jiménez Gallego P, Meana García JA, García Marrero RD, Gajate Borau P, Santander Lobera C, Molins Palau C, López Brea M, Fernández Parra EM, Reig Torras O, Basterretxea Badiola L, Vázquez Estévez S, González Larriba JL
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- The International Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma Database Consortium model as a prognostic tool in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma previously treated with first-line targeted therapy: a population-based study.
- Authors: Ko JJ, Xie W, Kroeger N, Lee JL, Rini BI, Knox JJ, Bjarnason GA, Srinivas S, Pal SK, Yuasa T, Smoragiewicz M, Donskov F, Kanesvaran R, Wood L, Ernst DS, Agarwal N, Vaishampayan UN, Rha SY, Choueiri TK, Heng DY
- Issue date: 2015 Mar
- Efficacy, safety, and prognostic indicators of first-line sunitinib in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma: A single center experience.
- Authors: Abd Ghafar NK, Alip A, Ong TA, Yap NY, Saad M
- Issue date: 2018 Oct-Dec
- Prospective Observational Study of Pazopanib in Patients with Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma (PRINCIPAL Study).
- Authors: Schmidinger M, Bamias A, Procopio G, Hawkins R, Sanchez AR, Vázquez S, Srihari N, Kalofonos H, Bono P, Pisal CB, Hirschberg Y, Dezzani L, Ahmad Q, Jonasch E, PRINCIPAL Study Group.
- Issue date: 2019 Apr