Prognostic and predictive value of AJCC-8 staging in the phase III EORTC1325/KEYNOTE-054 trial of pembrolizumab vs placebo in resected high-risk stage III melanoma
Di Giacomo, A
van den Eertwegh, A
Lorigan, Paul C
van Akkooi, A
AffiliationGustave Roussy Cancer Campus Grand Paris, Villejuif, France
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: The American Joint Committee on Cancer-8 (AJCC) classification of melanoma was implemented in January 2018. It was based on data gathered when checkpoint inhibitors were not used as adjuvant therapy in stage III melanoma. The European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC) 1325/KEYNOTE-054 double-blind phase III trial evaluated pembrolizumab vs placebo in AJCC-7 stage IIIA (excluding lymph node metastasis ²1 mm), IIIB or IIIC (without in-transit metastasis) patients after complete lymphadenectomy. PATIENTS, METHODS AND RESULTS: Patients (n = 1019) were randomised 1:1 to pembrolizumab 200 mg or placebo every 3 weeks (total of 18 doses, ?1 year). At 1.25-year median follow-up, pembrolizumab prolonged relapse-free survival (RFS) in the total population (1-year RFS rate: 75.4% vs 61.0%; hazard ratio [HR] 0.57; logrank P < 0.0001) and consistently in the AJCC-7 subgroups. Prognostic and predictive values of AJCC-8 for RFS were evaluated in this study. Patient distribution according to the AJCC-8 stage subgroups was 8% (IIIA), 34.7% (IIIB), 49.7% (IIIC), 3.7% (IIID) and 3.8% (unknown). AJCC-8 classification was strongly associated with RFS (HRs for stage IIIB, IIIC and IIID vs IIIA were 4.0, 5.7 and 12.2, respectively) but showed no predictive importance for the treatment comparison regarding RFS (test for interaction: P = 0.68). The 1-year RFS rate for pembrolizumab vs placebo and the HRs (99% confidence interval) within each AJCC-8 subgroup were as follows: stage IIIA (92.7% vs 92.5%; 0.76 [0.11-5.43]), IIIB (79.0% vs 65.5%; 0.59 [0.35-0.99]), IIIC (73.6% vs 53.9%; 0.48 [0.33-0.70]) and IIID (50.0% vs 33.3%; 0.69 [0.24-2.00]). CONCLUSIONS: AJCC-8 staging had a strong prognostic importance for RFS but no predictive importance: the RFS benefit of pembrolizumab was observed across AJCC-8 subgroups in resected high-risk stage III melanoma patients.
CitationEggermont AMM, Blank CU, Mandala M, Long GV, Atkinson VG, Dalle S, et al. Prognostic and predictive value of AJCC-8 staging in the phase III EORTC1325/KEYNOTE-054 trial of pembrolizumab vs placebo in resected high-risk stage III melanoma. Eur J Cancer. 2019.
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer
- Adjuvant Pembrolizumab versus Placebo in Resected Stage III Melanoma.
- Authors: Eggermont AMM, Blank CU, Mandala M, Long GV, Atkinson V, Dalle S, Haydon A, Lichinitser M, Khattak A, Carlino MS, Sandhu S, Larkin J, Puig S, Ascierto PA, Rutkowski P, Schadendorf D, Koornstra R, Hernandez-Aya L, Maio M, van den Eertwegh AJM, Grob JJ, Gutzmer R, Jamal R, Lorigan P, Ibrahim N, Marreaud S, van Akkooi ACJ, Suciu S, Robert C
- Issue date: 2018 May 10
- Adjuvant ipilimumab versus placebo after complete resection of stage III melanoma: long-term follow-up results of the European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer 18071 double-blind phase 3 randomised trial.
- Authors: Eggermont AMM, Chiarion-Sileni V, Grob JJ, Dummer R, Wolchok JD, Schmidt H, Hamid O, Robert C, Ascierto PA, Richards JM, Lebbe C, Ferraresi V, Smylie M, Weber JS, Maio M, Hosein F, de Pril V, Kicinski M, Suciu S, Testori A
- Issue date: 2019 Aug 7
- Adjuvant vemurafenib in resected, BRAF<sup>V600</sup> mutation-positive melanoma (BRIM8): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicentre, phase 3 trial.
- Authors: Maio M, Lewis K, Demidov L, Mandalà M, Bondarenko I, Ascierto PA, Herbert C, Mackiewicz A, Rutkowski P, Guminski A, Goodman GR, Simmons B, Ye C, Yan Y, Schadendorf D, BRIM8 Investigators.
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- Classification of 3097 patients from the Japanese melanoma study database using the American joint committee on cancer eighth edition cancer staging system.
- Authors: Fujisawa Y, Yoshikawa S, Minagawa A, Takenouchi T, Yokota K, Uchi H, Noma N, Nakamura Y, Asai J, Kato J, Fujiwara S, Fukushima S, Uehara J, Hoashi T, Kaji T, Fujimura T, Namikawa K, Yoshioka M, Murata N, Ogata D, Matsuyama K, Hatta N, Shibayama Y, Fujiyama T, Ishikawa M, Yamada D, Kishi A, Nakamura Y, Shimiauchi T, Fujii K, Fujimoto M, Ihn H, Katoh N
- Issue date: 2019 May
- Adjuvant ipilimumab versus placebo after complete resection of high-risk stage III melanoma (EORTC 18071): a randomised, double-blind, phase 3 trial.
- Authors: Eggermont AM, Chiarion-Sileni V, Grob JJ, Dummer R, Wolchok JD, Schmidt H, Hamid O, Robert C, Ascierto PA, Richards JM, Lebbé C, Ferraresi V, Smylie M, Weber JS, Maio M, Konto C, Hoos A, de Pril V, Gurunath RK, de Schaetzen G, Suciu S, Testori A
- Issue date: 2015 May