Communicative constructions of person-centred and non-person-centred caring in nurse-led consultations
AffiliationDepartment of Neurobiology, Care Sciences and Society, Division of Nursing, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPURPOSE: Nursing is theorised to be a component of person-centred care. Communicative constructions of person-centred caring are a topic that needs to be studied in consultations. The study aimed to explore how person-centred caring and non-person- centred caring are verbally constructed in consultations between patients and nurse. METHOD: This study was qualitative using audio-recorded observations from consultations with advanced nurse practitioners in nurse-led chemotherapy clinics from four hospitals in the UK through purposive sampling. Discourse analysis was used to identify communicative patterns in 45 non-participant observations of nurse consultations. RESULTS: The dominant discourse was a non-person-centred oriented discourse framed by the biomedical model. It was also possible to identify fragments of an alternative discourse-a person-oriented discourse localising health problems within the patient's personal and sociocultural context. CONCLUSIONS: The prominent use of a non-person-oriented discourse focusing on the medical/technical aspects of a patient's assessment/evaluation in consultations may make it difficult for patients to raise questions and concerns from their daily lives during consultations. However, fragments of a person-oriented discourse show that it is possible for nurses to allow a person-centred approach to the consultation. The pedagogical implications have to do with raising nurses' awareness of the role of evaluative language in enhancing person-centred communication with patients in clinical interactions.
CitationSiouta E, Farrell C, Chan EA, Walshe C, Molassiotis A. Communicative constructions of person-centred and non-person-centred caring in nurse-led consultations. Eur J Oncol Nurs. 2019;40:10-21.
JournalEuropean Journal of Oncology Nursing
- Prepared for surgery - Communication in nurses' preoperative consultations with patients undergoing surgery for colorectal cancer after a person-centred intervention.
- Authors: Pettersson ME, Öhlén J, Friberg F, Hydén LC, Wallengren C, Sarenmalm EK, Carlsson E
- Issue date: 2018 Jul
- Are nurse-led chemotherapy clinics really nurse-led? An ethnographic study.
- Authors: Farrell C, Walshe C, Molassiotis A
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- The meaning of person-centred care in the perioperative nursing context from the patient's perspective - an integrative review.
- Authors: Arakelian E, Swenne CL, Lindberg S, Rudolfsson G, von Vogelsang AC
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- Person-centred interactions between nurses and patients during medication activities in an acute hospital setting: qualitative observation and interview study.
- Authors: Bolster D, Manias E
- Issue date: 2010 Feb