Hypoxia and angiogenic biomarkers in prostate cancer after external beam radiotherapy (EBRT) alone or combined with high-dose-rate brachytherapy boost (HDR-BTb)
AffiliationInstitute of Cancer Research Clinical Trials and Statistics Unit (ICR-CTSU), London, United Kingdom
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPURPOSE: To investigate angiogenic and hypoxia biomarkers to predict outcome in patients receiving external beam radiotherapy (EBRT) alone or combined with high-dose-rate brachytherapy boost (HDR-BTb) for localised prostate cancer. METHODS: Prostate biopsy samples were collected prospectively in patients entered into a phase 3 randomised controlled trial of patients receiving EBRT or EBRT?+?HDR-BTb. Univariate and multivariate analyses using Cox proportional hazards model were performed to identify associations between immunohistochemical staining of hypoxia inducible factor 1 alpha (HIF1?), glucose transporter 1 (GLUT1), osteopontin (OPN) and microvessel density (MVD) using CD-34 antibody with clinical outcome. The primary endpoint was biochemical relapse free survival (BRFS) and secondary endpoint was distant metastasis free survival (DMFS). RESULTS: Immunohistochemistry was available for 204 patients. Increased OPN (Hazard ratio [HR] 2.38, 95% Confidence Interval [CI] 1.06-5.34, p?<?0.036) and GLUT1 (HR 2.36, 95%CI 1.39-4.01, p?<?0.001) expression were predictive of worse BRFS. Increased GLUT1 expression (HR 2.22, 1.02-4.84, p?=?0.045) was predictive of worse DMFS. Increased MVD (CD-34) (HR 1.82, 95%CI 1.06-3.14, p?=?0.03) and OPN (HR 1.82, 95%CI 1.06-3.14, p?=?0.03) but reduced GLUT1 expression (HR 0.40, 95%CI 0.20-0.79, p?=?0.009) were predictive of improved BRFS in patients receiving EBRT?+?HDR-BTb. CONCLUSION: Our data suggest angiogenic and hypoxia biomarkers may predict outcome and benefit of dose escalation, however further validation in prospective studies including hypoxia modification is needed. Trial registration number ISRCTN98241100, registered with ISRCTN at http://www.controlled-trials.com/isrctn/.
CitationBhattacharya IS, Taghavi Azar Sharabiani M, Alonzi R, Hoskin PJ. Hypoxia and angiogenic biomarkers in prostate cancer after external beam radiotherapy (EBRT) alone or combined with high-dose-rate brachytherapy boost (HDR-BTb). Radiother Oncol. 2019 May 3;137:38-44.
JournalRadiotherapy and Oncology
- Randomised trial of external-beam radiotherapy alone or with high-dose-rate brachytherapy for prostate cancer: Mature 12-year results.
- Authors: Hoskin PJ, Rojas AM, Ostler PJ, Bryant L, Lowe GJ
- Issue date: 2021 Jan
- A combined single high-dose rate brachytherapy boost with hypofractionated external beam radiotherapy results in a high rate of biochemical disease free survival in localised intermediate and high risk prostate cancer patients.
- Authors: Joseph N, Taylor C, O'Hara C, Choudhury A, Elliott T, Logue J, Wylie J
- Issue date: 2016 Nov
- Prostate-only Versus Whole-pelvis Radiation with or Without a Brachytherapy Boost for Gleason Grade Group 5 Prostate Cancer: A Retrospective Analysis.
- Authors: Sandler KA, Cook RR, Ciezki JP, Ross AE, Pomerantz MM, Nguyen PL, Shaikh T, Tran PT, Stock RG, Merrick GS, Demanes DJ, Spratt DE, Abu-Isa EI, Wedde TB, Lilleby W, Krauss DJ, Shaw GK, Alam R, Reddy CA, Song DY, Klein EA, Stephenson AJ, Tosoian JJ, Hegde JV, Yoo SM, Fiano R, D'Amico AV, Nickols NG, Aronson WJ, Sadeghi A, Greco SC, Deville C Jr, McNutt T, DeWeese TL, Reiter RE, Said JW, Steinberg ML, Horwitz EM, Kupelian PA, King CR, Kishan AU
- Issue date: 2020 Jan
- Ten-year survival after High-Dose-Rate Brachytherapy combined with External Beam Radiation Therapy in high-risk prostate cancer: A comparison with the Norwegian SPCG-7 cohort.
- Authors: Wedde TB, Småstuen MC, Brabrand S, Fosså SD, Kaasa S, Tafjord G, Russnes KM, Hellebust TP, Lilleby W
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- Pretreatment 3T multiparametric MRI staging predicts for biochemical failure in high-risk prostate cancer treated with combination high-dose-rate brachytherapy and external beam radiotherapy.
- Authors: Hegde JV, Demanes DJ, Veruttipong D, Raince J, Park SJ, Raman SS, Nickols NG, King CR, Kishan AU, Steinberg ML, Kamrava M
- Issue date: 2017 Nov-Dec