AffiliationBarrow Pituitary Center, Barrow Neurological Institute, University of Arizona College of Medicine and Creighton School of Medicine, Phoenix, Arizona, United States
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHypophysitis is a rare entity characterized by inflammation of the pituitary gland and its stalk that can cause hypopituitarism and/or mass effect. Etiology can be categorized as primary or secondary to systemic disease, but may also be classified according to anatomical and hispathological criteria. Newly recognized causes of hypophysits have been described, mainly secondary to immunomodulatory medications and IgG4-related disease. Diagnosis is based on clinical, laboratory and imaging data, whereas pituitary biopsy, though rarely indicated, may provide a definitive histological diagnosis. For the clinician, obtaining a broad clinical and drug history, and performing a thorough physical examination is essential. Management of hypophysitis includes hormone replacement therapy if hypopituitarism is present and control of the consequences of the inflammatory pituitary mass (e.g. compression of the optic chiasm) using high-dose glucocorticoids, whereas pituitary surgery is reserved for those unresponsive to medical therapy and/or have progressive disease. However, there remains an unmet need for controlled studies to inform clinical practice.
CitationYuen KCJ, Popovic V, Trainer PJ. New causes of hypophysitis. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2019.
JournalBest Practice and Research. Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism
- MECHANISMS IN ENDOCRINOLOGY: Hypophysitis: diagnosis and treatment.
- Authors: Joshi MN, Whitelaw BC, Carroll PV
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- Recent insights into the pathogenesis of autoimmune hypophysitis.
- Authors: Frasca F, Piticchio T, Le Moli R, Malaguarnera R, Campennì A, Cannavò S, Ruggeri RM
- Issue date: 2021 Nov
- Hypophysitis: An update on the novel forms, diagnosis and management of disorders of pituitary inflammation.
- Authors: Gubbi S, Hannah-Shmouni F, Verbalis JG, Koch CA
- Issue date: 2019 Dec
- Diagnosis and treatment of autoimmune and IgG4-related hypophysitis: clinical guidelines of the Japan Endocrine Society.
- Authors: Takagi H, Iwama S, Sugimura Y, Takahashi Y, Oki Y, Akamizu T, Arima H
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 28
- Hypophysitis, the Growing Spectrum of a Rare Pituitary Disease.
- Authors: Langlois F, Varlamov EV, Fleseriu M
- Issue date: 2022 Jan 1