Formidable scenarios in urothelial and variant cancers of the urinary tract
AffiliationInova Schar Cancer Institute, Fairfax, VA2 The Christie National Health Service Foundation Trust, Manchester, United Kingdom
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDiagnostic and therapeutic challenges in the field of bladder and upper tract cancers provide opportunities for multidisciplinary care. Urothelial cancers make up the majority of the histologic subtype of bladder and upper tract cancers. Although the existence of variant histology, nonurothelial cancers, and urethral cancers is rare, these cancers pose a challenging clinical dilemma given the lack of well-defined consensus treatment guidelines. This review focuses on key issues of treatment: cisplatin ineligibility with emphasis on the definition, nuances of chemotherapy and frontline immune checkpoint inhibitor therapy, use of radiation in bladder-preservation strategies, upper tract urothelial cancer management, and highlights of urothelial variants and nonurothelial tumors and management.
CitationAragon-Ching JB, Choudhury A, Margulis V, Yu EY. Formidable scenarios in urothelial and variant cancers of the urinary tract. Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book. 2019;39:262-75.
JournalAmerican Society of Clinical Oncology Educational Book
- Optimal Management of Upper Tract Urothelial Carcinoma: an Unmet Need.
- Authors: Azizi M, Cheriyan SK, Peyton CC, Foerster B, Shariat SF, Spiess PE
- Issue date: 2019 Apr 1
- Upper tract urothelial carcinoma: special considerations.
- Authors: Hutchinson R, Haddad A, Sagalowsky A, Margulis V
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- [Urothelial tumors of the upper urinary tract].
- Authors: Boissier R, Bastien L, Lechevallier É, Meria P
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- Diagnosis and management of upper tract urothelial carcinoma.
- Authors: Lucca I, Leow JJ, Shariat SF, Chang SL
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- European Association of Urology Guidelines on Upper Urinary Tract Urothelial Carcinoma: 2017 Update.
- Authors: Rouprêt M, Babjuk M, Compérat E, Zigeuner R, Sylvester RJ, Burger M, Cowan NC, Gontero P, Van Rhijn BWG, Mostafid AH, Palou J, Shariat SF
- Issue date: 2018 Jan