Formidable scenarios in urothelial and variant cancers of the urinary tract
AffiliationInova Schar Cancer Institute, Fairfax, VA2 The Christie National Health Service Foundation Trust, Manchester, United Kingdom
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDiagnostic and therapeutic challenges in the field of bladder and upper tract cancers provide opportunities for multidisciplinary care. Urothelial cancers make up the majority of the histologic subtype of bladder and upper tract cancers. Although the existence of variant histology, nonurothelial cancers, and urethral cancers is rare, these cancers pose a challenging clinical dilemma given the lack of well-defined consensus treatment guidelines. This review focuses on key issues of treatment: cisplatin ineligibility with emphasis on the definition, nuances of chemotherapy and frontline immune checkpoint inhibitor therapy, use of radiation in bladder-preservation strategies, upper tract urothelial cancer management, and highlights of urothelial variants and nonurothelial tumors and management.
CitationAragon-Ching JB, Choudhury A, Margulis V, Yu EY. Formidable scenarios in urothelial and variant cancers of the urinary tract. Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book. 2019;39:262-75.
JournalAmerican Society of Clinical Oncology Educational Book
- Nonurothelial bladder cancer and rare variant histologies.
- Authors: Willis D, Kamat AM
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- Upstaging of nonurothelial histology in bladder cancer at the time of surgical treatment in the National Cancer Data Base.
- Authors: Cohen AJ, Packiam V, Nottingham C, Steinberg G, Smith ND, Patel S
- Issue date: 2017 Jan
- Characteristics and clinical significance of histological variants of bladder cancer.
- Authors: Moschini M, D'Andrea D, Korn S, Irmak Y, Soria F, Compérat E, Shariat SF
- Issue date: 2017 Nov
- Histologic variants of urothelial bladder cancer and nonurothelial histology in bladder cancer.
- Authors: Chalasani V, Chin JL, Izawa JI
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Urothelial carcinoma of the bladder and the upper tract: disparate twins.
- Authors: Green DA, Rink M, Xylinas E, Matin SF, Stenzl A, Roupret M, Karakiewicz PI, Scherr DS, Shariat SF
- Issue date: 2013 Apr