Intravenous versus subcutaneous trastuzumab: an economic and patient perspective
AffiliationThe Christie NHS Foundation Trust, ManchesterBreast Care Nurse, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSince 2005, when the first patients outside of a clinical trial were treated with trastuzumab at The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, a nurse-led service has been developed to facilitate and support a safe treatment pathway for patients. There have been significant developments in the number of patients treated, the mode of administration of the drug and patient choice regarding the location of treatment delivery. This article focuses on the change from intravenous to subcutaneous administration, considering patient experience and choice, particularly in light of the advent of biosimilar drugs, which will necessitate a return to the intravenous route. The relative costs of intravenous and subcutaneous administration are illustrated and the results of a patient survey presented, indicating a strong preference for subcutaneous trastuzumab.
CitationMitchell H, Morrissey D. Intravenous versus subcutaneous trastuzumab: an economic and patient perspective. Br J Nurs. 2019;28(10):S15-S20.
JournalBritish Journal of Nursing
- Cost Minimization Analysis of Intravenous or Subcutaneous Trastuzumab Treatment in Patients With HER2-Positive Breast Cancer in Ireland.
- Authors: O'Brien GL, O'Mahony C, Cooke K, Kinneally A, Sinnott SJ, Walshe V, Mulcahy M, Byrne S
- Issue date: 2019 Jun
- Potential cost savings owing to the route of administration of oncology drugs: a microcosting study of intravenous and subcutaneous administration of trastuzumab and rituximab in the Netherlands.
- Authors: Franken MG, Kanters TA, Coenen JL, de Jong P, Koene HR, Lugtenburg PJ, Jager A, Uyl-de Groot CA
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- [Appropriate use of trastuzumab in Lazio Region: therapeutic scenarios and estimation of possible savings for the Regional Health Service.]
- Authors: Belleudi V, Rosa AC, Musicco F, Marchetti P, Martini N, Andriani A, Calamia T, Addis A
- Issue date: 2019 Dec
- Behind the subcutaneous trastuzumab hype: evaluation of benefits and their transferability to Central Eastern European countries.
- Authors: Inotai A, Ágh T, Karpenko AW, Zemplényi A, Kaló Z
- Issue date: 2019 Apr
- Costs of subcutaneous and intravenous administration of trastuzumab for patients with HER2-positive breast cancer.
- Authors: Olsen J, Jensen KF, Olesen DS, Knoop A
- Issue date: 2018 May