Phase 2 study of anastrozole in recurrent estrogen (ER)/progesterone (PR) positive endometrial cancer: the PARAGON trial - ANZGOG 0903
Clamp, Andrew R
AffiliationPeter MacCallum Cancer Centre, The Sir Peter MacCallum Department of Oncology, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne, VIC, Australia
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: The clinical benefit rate with aromatase inhibitors and the impact of treatment on quality of life (QOL) in endometrial cancer is unclear. We report the results of a phase 2 trial of anastrozole in endometrial cancer. METHODS: Investigator initiated single-arm, open label trial of anastrozole, 1?mg/d in patients with ER and/or PR positive hormonal therapy naive metastatic endometrial cancer. Patients were treated until progressive disease (PD) or unacceptable toxicity. The primary end-point was clinical benefit (response?+?stable disease) at 3?months. Secondary endpoints include progression-free survival (PFS), quality of life (QOL) and toxicity. RESULTS: Clinical benefit rate in 82 evaluable patients at 3?months was 44% (95% CI: 34-55%) with a best response by RECIST of partial response in 6 pts. (7%; 95% CI: 3-15%). The median PFS was 3.2?months (95% CI: 2.8-5.4). Median duration of clinical benefit was 5.6?months (95% CI: 3.0-13.7). Treatment was well tolerated. Patients who had clinical benefit at 3?months reported clinically significant improvements in several QOL domains compared to those with PD; this was evident by 2?months including improvements in: emotional functioning (39 vs 6%: p?=?0.002), cognitive functioning (45 vs 19%: p?=?0.021), fatigue (47 vs 19%: p?=?0.015) and global health status (42 vs 9%: p?=?0.003). CONCLUSION: Although the objective response rate to anastrozole was relatively low, clinical benefit was observed in 44% of patients with ER/PR positive metastatic endometrial cancer and associated with an improvement in QOL.
CitationMileshkin L, Edmondson R, O'Connell RL, Sjoquist KM, Andrews J, Jyothirmayi R, et al. Phase 2 study of anastrozole in recurrent estrogen (ER)/progesterone (PR) positive endometrial cancer: the PARAGON trial - ANZGOG 0903. Gynecol Oncol. 2019.
- PARAGON: A Phase II study of anastrozole in patients with estrogen receptor-positive recurrent/metastatic low-grade ovarian cancers and serous borderline ovarian tumors.
- Authors: Tang M, O'Connell RL, Amant F, Beale P, McNally O, Sjoquist KM, Grant P, Davis A, Sykes P, Mileshkin L, Moujaber T, Kennedy CJ, deFazio A, Tan K, Antill Y, Goh J, Bonaventura T, Scurry J, Friedlander M
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 18
- Paragon (ANZGOG-0903): Phase 2 Study of Anastrozole in Women With Estrogen or Progesterone Receptor-Positive Platinum-Resistant or -Refractory Recurrent Ovarian Cancer.
- Authors: Bonaventura A, OʼConnell RL, Mapagu C, Beale PJ, McNally OM, Mileshkin LR, Grant PT, Hadley AM, Goh JCH, Sjoquist KM, Martyn J, DeFazio A, Scurry J, Friedlander ML, Paragon Investigators.
- Issue date: 2017 Jun
- Fulvestrant plus anastrozole or placebo versus exemestane alone after progression on non-steroidal aromatase inhibitors in postmenopausal patients with hormone-receptor-positive locally advanced or metastatic breast cancer (SoFEA): a composite, multicentre, phase 3 randomised trial.
- Authors: Johnston SR, Kilburn LS, Ellis P, Dodwell D, Cameron D, Hayward L, Im YH, Braybrooke JP, Brunt AM, Cheung KL, Jyothirmayi R, Robinson A, Wardley AM, Wheatley D, Howell A, Coombes G, Sergenson N, Sin HJ, Folkerd E, Dowsett M, Bliss JM, SoFEA investigators.
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- Treatment of advanced uterine leiomyosarcoma with aromatase inhibitors.
- Authors: O'Cearbhaill R, Zhou Q, Iasonos A, Soslow RA, Leitao MM, Aghajanian C, Hensley ML
- Issue date: 2010 Mar
- Adjuvant anastrozole versus exemestane versus letrozole, upfront or after 2 years of tamoxifen, in endocrine-sensitive breast cancer (FATA-GIM3): a randomised, phase 3 trial.
- Authors: De Placido S, Gallo C, De Laurentiis M, Bisagni G, Arpino G, Sarobba MG, Riccardi F, Russo A, Del Mastro L, Cogoni AA, Cognetti F, Gori S, Foglietta J, Frassoldati A, Amoroso D, Laudadio L, Moscetti L, Montemurro F, Verusio C, Bernardo A, Lorusso V, Gravina A, Moretti G, Lauria R, Lai A, Mocerino C, Rizzo S, Nuzzo F, Carlini P, Perrone F, GIM Investigators.
- Issue date: 2018 Apr